What's new

[RT-AC68U] Connectivity issues on LAN since 384.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

af32d

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Last week I've updated my Asus RT-AC68U to the newest firmware 384.4. I'm not sure what went wrong, but since that time I'm having real strange connectivity issues.

- Visiting a webserver on my LAN results in endless loading, until I start a ping command to the same IP, then the request is delivered to my browser immediately.
- My MySQL server (LAN) generates errors that acces is not allow from 10.0.0.1 (this is the Router's IP, not the client that is trying the connection)
- nslookup's towards my self hosted DNS server (LAN) also generate errors that looks like this: ";; reply from unexpected source: 10.0.0.1#53, expected 10.0.0.10#53". My DNS server is hosted on 10.0.0.10, the router is hosted on 10.0.0.1.
- Some devices on the LAN loose connectivity (virtual unix servers) towards each other over time. Also my Sonos is having a hard time.

I've never seen those issues before, and it looks to me like the router is changing the source address of packages to it's own address. This is causing a lot of issues.

After updating to 384.4, I've performed a factory reset and reconfigured the settings. Since I've discovered the issues mentioned above, i've tried to:
- Reinstall 384.4, with factory reset and without any other changes than changing the router IP to 10.0.0.1 (DHCP changes automatically to the same range).
- Downgrade to the 380.x version that used to work perfectly, with factory reset
- Upgrade to 384.4 again, with factory reset.

None of those solutions worked, and I'm stuck with a buggy network now. I'm not sure what else I could try to debug/solve this issue. Or if it's a bug in 384.4.

Thanks,

It looks like you might have two DHCP servers running on your LAN. I see you are hosting your own DNS, are you also hosting your own DHCP?

Try going back one or two ver. of the firmware. I had a similar issue with 384.3 So I ended up going back to 380.69_2 and this resolved my issue. I have since moved on to an RT-AC86U

It was my understanding that once you upgraded on V384, it was not possible to ever revert to any of the v380 builds; Please expound, how did you accomplish this successfully?

I just uploaded the 380.69_2 firmware that I a copy of to the router, the router then rebooted and I was back up and running. If I still had the router I would send you a screen shot.

It was my understanding that once you upgraded on V384, it was not possible to ever revert to any of the v380 builds; Please expound, how did you accomplish this successfully?

That limitation only applies to the RT-AC3200, due to the upgraded nvram partition.

That limitation only applies to the RT-AC3200, due to the upgraded nvram partition.
Thank you Eric, realized that this was only for the 3200, and since the discussion was on a 3200 thought I was clear; I never wish to be unclear. What I know, no matter how I try to express it, doesn't always appear correctly to others on the written page. It's tough to please anyone, but since these are supposedly my golden years, I'm waiting for my ticket to Tahiti to show up.

Is it my imagination, or are folks being overly sensitive and/or snarky these days? I try to blow off most of what I see in replies, as historically some people can literally pop a cork when they read a text or email, over some way someone failed to compose something. We've all done that at some point, but to see others (on other threads) going at each other in writing for no real reason is unseemly, if not unprofessional. Long winter perhaps or I'm just getting too old for this.

Am truly grateful for your expertise and the hard work you apply to your fork, and had no intention of detracting. We hope to be able to update at some point when the dust settles. Cheers.

Last edited:
Is it my imagination, or is everyone overly sensitive and/or snarky these days?

I have my personal opinion on this. Without driving these forums into a political or social debate, let's just say I feel the general social climate of our planet has been quite toxic lately, and things have gone worse this past year. I think it has a psychological impact on people in general, and a lot of us (including myself) are being more cranky as of late.

Agreed. When you see people you thought you knew, turning Jeckyl/Hyde, it's a 'whoa' moment. Glad we live in the boonies, far from the maddening crowds. Cheers.

It looks like you might have two DHCP servers running on your LAN. I see you are hosting your own DNS, are you also hosting your own DHCP?

I am not running my own DHCP server. And I've checked it but there is no other DHCP server active by accident.

I just uploaded the 380.69_2 firmware that I a copy of to the router, the router then rebooted and I was back up and running. If I still had the router I would send you a screen shot.

Hm, I tried downgrading to 380.69_2 but this did not fixed the routing issues. Did you just uploaded the firmware in the web interface and rebooted, or did you do some other/more steps?

Hi all,
I do have the same issues with my ac87u after upgrading to 384.4
I keep losing lan connection and connecting to the router using firefox is taking for ever due to the TLS-Handshake.
I'm also having troubles connecting to the router, suddenly the connection is gone.
Not sure what else I can say to narrow down the issues, but something is definitly not working as smooth as it used to be.
Cheers and thanks!
Swiss

Hi all,
I do have the same issues with my ac87u after upgrading to 384.4
I keep losing lan connection and connecting to the router using firefox is taking for ever due to the TLS-Handshake.
I'm also having troubles connecting to the router, suddenly the connection is gone.
Not sure what else I can say to narrow down the issues, but something is definitly not working as smooth as it used to be.
Cheers and thanks!
Swiss
Use another browser...FF is having troubles with the webui http and https.
EDIT: By the way https doesn't work that well and is a known issue.