What's new

RT-AC68U - CPU pegged at 100% on 384.4_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ForkWNY

After about 1-2 days of uptime, I've noticed one of the CPU cores on my RT-AC68U getting pegged at 100% to the point where connectivity is slow/unreliable and the router has to be power cycled to restore it back to normal. I'm basically using the default configuration on the router, roughly 15 clients connected (laptops, cell phones, tablets, etc.). I've been on the 384.4_2 firmware for roughly a week or so, and haven't noticed this issue on previous firmwares. No idea what's saturating one of the CPU cores. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Any ideas? Thanks.

Do you have the traffic Analyzer enabled? I used to see this problem randomly when it was enabled but I have not in any of the newer firmwares, even some before the "New gen". I think the TrafficAnalyzer was locking out the jffs somehow and then when the system was trying to copy the syslog to the jffs for backup or whatever it does, it was getting all jammed up.

Also if you are able to SSH in while it is pegged out, use top (or entware htop is even better) to see what is consuming the CPU.

I ended up reverting to the ASUS firmware from 4/3/18, things seem to be running well now. CPU usage is generally below 10% on both cores with traffic monitoring enabled. I did have traffic analyzer enabled but didn't get the chance to look into the problem in more detail while it was occurring. On one occasion the router locked up and I had to power cycle it to bring it back up, wasn't able to SSH in and troubleshoot further. I will likely flash Merlin on there once it goes through a few revisions to fix whatever bugs are affecting performance on the 68U's. I read through another thread that pointed out hardware acceleration issues on the latest 384.4_2 firmware with the RT-AC68U.