What's new

RT-AC68U crashes when updating DCHP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mcklit

New Around Here
When ever I change an entry in the DCHP list, and hit the apply button, the router will "stall"

It tells me to wait, and then goes into a never-ending loop.

The only way to get the router running again, is to physically remove the power cord, wait for 30 seconds and the power it on again.
When the router is up and running again, I can see that the change to the DHCP list is done.

So the change gets committed but the router will stall while trying to use the new settings. Or at least that's how it looks.

Anyone else seen this issue, and knows what to do with it?

Thanks

Which model version for the AC68U ? What firmware is installed?
Other apps running? Out of space or memory?

By model version - do you mean firmware? If so - it's: 3.0.0.4.386_51255

I'm not sure where to check for space / memory. Looked in different menus and didn't find it. Also searched through the manual without any luck. Actually memory is not mentioned anywhere when searching the manual, so I guess that's not a concern?
Also I'm not running any other apps. The router is simply being used as a home router - nothing fancy.

Thanks for your input.

When was the last hard reset and manual re-configuration of this router?
If you forgot or it was long- and many firmware versions ago, I would try a hard reset and manual configure the router again.

Unfortunately it's not low ressources.

@sol1109 pointed me in the right direction, and the system resources are good.
CPU core 1 and and core 2 are both below 5% most of the time.
Memory is around 50%

So that should be fine is guess ?

When ever I change an entry in the DCHP list, and hit the apply button, the router will "stall"

Your router is perhaps running out of NVRAM. The symptoms are what you describe - freezes or unable to save settings. You have to reset the router and configure it again manually with less DHCP reservations, custom client names, icons, etc. This router is 10-years old with some limitations and on firmware life support. Asus is keeping it alive perhaps because of AiMesh - many people have this model and Asus wants them to buy another Asus router.

Unfortunately it's not low ressources.

@sol1109 pointed me in the right direction, and the system resources are good.
CPU core 1 and and core 2 are both below 5% most of the time.
Memory is around 50%

So that should be fine is guess ?
It could be low NVRAM as previously indicated by another poster. Access the RT-AC68U via SSH and run the following command:
nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
It will list the NVRAM usage along with the top NVRAM entries by size.
Look at the top of the output for the "size" (example: size: 57104 bytes (8432 left)) to see how much NVRAM is being used and how much is "left".

One may have to do a hard factory reset and reconfigure manually from scratch if the NVRAM usage is high and one is experiencing weird issues or problems like the one you describe.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!