What's new

RT-AC68U crashing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

needshelpdoing

New Around Here
I recently bought the rt-ac68u and it ran fine on stock for about a week before it started randomly crashing. so, i flashed merlin and factory reset with manual setting. not using any backup config file to bring it back up to my req. but it keeps crashing again.

crashing as in the whole unit is frozen, in a sense. you can ping it on lan, the wifi lights are on but there is no ip addresses handed out and cant connect via wifi.

i managed to snag this line in the log when it manages to load up and run properly for a while before crashing again

kernel: SysRq : HELP : loglevel(0-9) reBoot Crash terminate-all-tasks(E) memory-full-oom-kill(F) kill-all-tasks(I) thaw-filesystems(J) show-backtrace-all-active-cpus(L) show-memory-usage(M) nice-all-RT-tasks(N) show-registers(P) show-all-timers(Q) Sync show-task-states(T) Unmount show-blocked-tasks(W)

it keeps repeating. do i need to rma this unit?

Did you do a full reset after flashing the firmware version you want to use?

Did you do a full reset after then flashing to the RMerlin firmware?

The following links may be of help to get the router back to a good/known state (and at least rule out HW failure).

Fully Reset Router and Network

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

In particular, see the link above for the M&M Config and also the Nuclear Reset guides too.

1. bought new router
2. applied necessary changes for personal needs using original asus firmware
3. one week on, router decides to stop giving ip addresses and wifi cant connect unless turned off for at least 2 hours
4. found merlin and flashed using recovery mode. reset button + power
5. router disconnected from ONU
6. flashed properly and merlin got installed. managed to get into webgui
7. followed the steps as per Setup for RT-AC68U
8. managed to keep it stable for a couple hours and then issue at step 3 occurs again
9. left it on for several hours without any lan cable attached. returned to the cfe mini server login. clicked reboot and somehow managed to get into the webgui again
10. read the syslog and saw those lines repeating over and over and over

so, that's the general rundown of what i did.

Here is the link to the Asus Hard Factory Reset procedure: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
If you are using a USB drive to store files I would strongly recommend you use a thumb drive with a swap file.

did this. held the wps button and power till the power light flashes. left it alone, nothing connected to it for a couple hours. came back to ASUSTek - CFE miniWeb Server. clicked the reboot command, it rebooted successfully into the QIS setup wizard page after a while

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!