RT-AC68U firmware 3.0.0.4.382.18547 slows down 5Ghz Wireless.

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
Hi my router updated today to the new 3.0.0.4.382.18547 firmware version, however this firmware caused the 5Ghz wifi to drop back to 20Mhz wide channels causing the devices to connect to the router at 1/4 of the speed as before.

I tried factory restore and recovery mode NVRAM reset and reinstall each time the same issue occurred.

I have now dropped back to 380.7743 and voila 5Ghz is back to normal using the full 80Mhz channel width.

I have fed this back to Asus today so hopefully whichever bug caused this will be fixed soon so i can continue to enjoy security fixes new firmware brings.
 

KevTech

Very Senior Member
Hi my router updated today to the new 3.0.0.4.382.18547 firmware version, however this firmware caused the 5Ghz wifi to drop back to 20Mhz wide channels causing the devices to connect to the router at 1/4 of the speed as before.

I tried factory restore and recovery mode NVRAM reset and reinstall each time the same issue occurred.

I have now dropped back to 380.7743 and voila 5Ghz is back to normal using the full 80Mhz channel width.

I have fed this back to Asus today so hopefully whichever bug caused this will be fixed soon so i can continue to enjoy security fixes new firmware brings.

I have not noticed any slowdown on the 5GHz band with the latest firmware.

I have two routers with one in media bridge and the connection is full speed.

Capture.JPG
 

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
By any chance do you manually set the wireless channel? As I found the only way to get it to use 80Mhz channels post update is to force it to stick to one channel.

Prior to update if I used auto most of the time it would hover around channel 100 with 80Mhz width but post update it couldn’t decide which channel to use, sometimes down at 40 other times at 140 each time with 20Mhz width.

It looks like it’s the auto channel selector that might be the issue, it worked brilliantly on 380.7743 which is what I’ve dropped back to.
 

joebloogs

Occasional Visitor
Yeah it will, or you can lock the router to a specific channel, mine is locked to 100 at the moment as that was where it spent most of its time before anyway.

I rolled back to 380.7743 and this has doubled up my 5Ghz WI-FI transfer speed but still it is around 170Mbps average..
When I purchased the router about 1.5 years ago I used to get speeds over 400Mbps!!

I use an app called Sweet Spots on my iphone & ipad to measure speed..

I wonder if it will help if I use Merlin firmware.....any ideas?
 

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
Boot into recovery mode and reset the NVRAM and reupload the firmware from there that will completely default everything.

Now I had an old config file that I used to restore my settings and it was working perfect again. You can also set up as if new again.

Back to 75MB/s to the NAS over wifi which is amazing speed, I also get that on the new broken firmware by locking my router to a specific channel.
 

deadite66

Occasional Visitor
i rolled back to .7743 too, for me download speed was affected.
with high speed downloads Core 1 was hitting 100% limiting the download speed, it would start about a day after a reboot.
sent feedback for asus.
 
Last edited:

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
Plug in holding the reset button until power light flashes, once this is done connect a computer via ethernet and configure the ip address manually give your device 192.168.1.2 and the router/gateway ip is 192.168.1.1 and then in your browser navigate to 192.168.1.1 and you should see the CFE menu.

I think thats right, but there are other threads explaining better how to do this.
 

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
i rolled back to .7743 too, for me download speed was affected.
with high speed downloads Core 1 was hitting 100% limiting the download speed, it would start about a day after a reboot.
sent feedback for asus.
I'm sticking with the new firmware for now even with its faults as the new AI protect is awesome, so far I've had 5 two way IPS blocked and 50 malicious sites blocked (these were mostly spam served via ads on an iPhone app the wife uses) it probably did this before but its cool being able to see it working now via the new UI.

Thankfully my issues were fixed by locking the router channel which gave me the full 80Mhz wide channels, i definitely believe 5Ghz is being extra sensitive on this firmware as roaming assistant booted my iPhone a couple of times when it was in my pocket whereas it never did before, so that was promptly disabled.
 

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
i rolled back to .7743 too, for me download speed was affected.
with high speed downloads Core 1 was hitting 100% limiting the download speed, it would start about a day after a reboot.
sent feedback for asus.
I did an Archive.org torrent download the other day which ground my router to a halt for everything else which was odd as it wasnt using my full speed but the CPU did hit 80% on both cores, now i never had this issue before so i wonder if new firmware is to blame too.
 

Stuey3D

Regular Contributor
Dropped back to 380.7743 as the router experienced random slow downs whereby my 60Mb connection would slow right down to 30Mb for no reason with one core at 90% useage. I've also noticed RAM usage is half what it was previously.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top