What's new

RT-AC68U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.385_20433

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ForkWNY

A new firmware was released for the RT-AC68U today. 3.0.0.4.385_20433

68-U-update.jpg

Release notes:
1. Update Adaptive QoS categories: Help you to prioritize the mission-critical applications
Those people who work-from-home & learn-from-home will greatly benefit from this new feature with optimized streaming experiences.
New Supported Categories & Apps:
- Video conferencing, including Microsoft Teams®, ZOOM®, Skype®, Google Hangouts®, BlueJeans®
- Online learning, including Khan academy®, Udemy®, Coursera®, TED®, VIPKiD®, 51Talk®, XDF®, Xueersi®
- Streaming, including YouTube®, Netflix®, HBO NOW®, Amazon Prime Video®, Disney+®, ESPN®, MLB.com®, iQIY®
- Indoor training, including Zwift®, Peloton®, Onelap®
Stay tuned and more apps are coming to the list soon!

2. Support Mobile Game Mode
- One-click prioritizing your mobile device to the highest and ensure you the best mobile gaming experiences.
- Install/Update ASUS Router App (Android supports later than 1.0.0.5.44; iOS supports later than 1.0.0.5.41)

any info about cpu usage ?

I'm still on 3.0.0.4.384_45717 avoiding new firmwares due to cpu/wclevent issues.

Is this new version worth it?

I'm still on 3.0.0.4.384_45717 avoiding new firmwares due to cpu/wclevent issues.

You are 7 firmware versions behind and do miss quite some security fixes.
3.0.0.4.385.20252 is stable and this new 3.0.0.4.385.20433 has no bad reports yet.

Have yet to encounter any issues with it - I run 4 of them as AiMesh nodes and 385.20433 has been solid and stable. A family member runs the 68U as a primary router with the newest firmware and it has been stable there as well (with no CPU anomalies), so it seems to work well in both AiMesh and primary router modes. As others have already mentioned, when you're behind several firmware revisions, you're missing out on security, stability, and new features that are incorporated into the updates. Sometimes a new firmware has its flaws...when those flaws are diligently reported and can be reproduced, ASUS generally fixes them within a reasonable amount of time.

It looks like the CPU and WLCEVENTD issues were fixed :)

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20433 [2020/04/14]

Version 3.0.0.4.385.20433 2020/04/14
36.75 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20433

1. Update Adaptive QoS categories: Help you to prioritize the mission-critical applications
Those people who work-from-home & learn-from-home will greatly benefit from this new feature with optimized streaming experiences.
New Supported Categories & Apps:
- Video conferencing, including Microsoft Teams®, ZOOM®, Skype®, Google Hangouts®, BlueJeans®
- Online learning, including Khan academy®, Udemy®, Coursera®, TED®, VIPKiD®, 51Talk®, XDF®, Xueersi®
- Streaming, including YouTube®, Netflix®, HBO NOW®, Amazon Prime Video®, Disney+®, ESPN®, MLB.com®, iQIY®
- Indoor training, including Zwift®, Peloton®, Onelap®
Stay tuned and more apps are coming to the list soon!

2. Support Mobile Game Mode
- One-click prioritizing your mobile device to the highest and ensure you the best mobile gaming experiences.
- Install/Update ASUS Router App (Android supports later than 1.0.0.5.44; iOS supports later than 1.0.0.5.41)

Please unzip the firmware file first and then check the MD5 code.
MD5: ffcdbf2a16c677f1a8068f7c1e4cb466

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Download link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438520433.zip

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.58.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.58.54 AM.png
    327 KB · Views: 354
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.58.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.58.38 AM.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 364
Hi, as main router (and not ai mesh node), no more processor issue for me since one hour with this firmware ! :)

I updated the firmware Saturday night and enabled Traffic Analyzer. There was a scheduled reboot at 3 am Sunday. Today I worked from home using VPN. Suddenly I couldn't load web pages in my browser, but existing connections including VPN and video doorbell still worked. I wasn't able to access the router admin function from either LAN or WAN. Eventually I had to turn off/on the router. I checked the log, but entries after the Sunday morning reboot are missing.

I updated the firmware Saturday night and enabled Traffic Analyzer. There was a scheduled reboot at 3 am Sunday. Today I worked from home using VPN. Suddenly I couldn't load web pages in my browser, but existing connections including VPN and video doorbell still worked. I wasn't able to access the router admin function from either LAN or WAN. Eventually I had to turn off/on the router. I checked the log, but entries after the Sunday morning reboot are missing.
You didn't mention the previous firmware version.
In general it is advised to revert to factory defaults and manual configure the router after skipping a few firmware releases and anyhow it doesn't hurt to make a clean start after a while, say once in a year.

I just upgraded to this firmware version.
The "Adaptative QOS" link leads to a white page.
Trited resetting few times... still the same.
Am I the only one ? Can I do anything to debug this ?

@serarien after a reset, are you importing a saved backup config file? Don't.

Minimally and manually configure the router to connect to your ISP and secure it instead.

I would suggest skipping v385.xxx and instead, use the RMerlin v384.16_0 release final instead too. :)

Doing a full M&M Config and ideally, also a Nuclear Reset may also be helpful too. Please see the link in my signature below for further details and the steps for those guides.

HTH. :)

You didn't mention the previous firmware version.
In general it is advised to revert to factory defaults and manual configure the router after skipping a few firmware releases and anyhow it doesn't hurt to make a clean start after a while, say once in a year.
I have always been on the latest.

Is it safe to upgrade if we have Merlin and Entware installed?

@Turgut Kalfaoglu, no. At least not expecting to continue using Entware.

Power off the router, remove the USB drive, flash the 385.204333.63322 firmware you want to try and then do a full reset to factory defaults, including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox.

Before doing so, you may want to download the firmware you're currently using and also do a backup of the config file (via the GUI) so that if this version doesn't give you what you're expecting, you can go back as quickly as possible to where you are now.

To do that, flash the current firmware again, do a full reset/Initialize and then use the backup config file to set up the router as it is now.

HTH. :)

@bulletmark, I don't see it going back a major version level. I see it as using the most stable, bug-free, and feature-rich firmware available now. :)

RMerlin will be jumping to 386.xx code level soon enough. I see no reason to go on a side-trip with stock Asus for this older model today.

Some network adapter driver and setting madness:

A PC with a 1x1 Intel AC 3165 adapter suffered intermittent 2.4 GHz connectivity.
I first upgraded the driver to the latest from Intel, which didn't help.
Since a day now I changed this:

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz:
  • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
  • Airtime Fairness: Disable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable

I am not sure which of the above 3 settings did the work, but the connection is solid now :)
The MCS settings is new since 2 or 3 firmware release and also exist for 5 GHz (with one option only, so that makes no sense).

Note:
Another laptop with a 2x2 Intel AC 9560 adapter consequently connected to 5 GHz at 433/866 Mbps instead of 866/866 Mbps.
The below router settings only did not fix it, I had to update the driver to the latest from Intel to fix the issue:
Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz:
  • Airtime Fairness: Disable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable

Last edited:
I've run the official Asus firmware of ages. I always update simply by clicking the firmware update check button but for at least the last week (could be since I installed 385_20433, not sure?) the check button just shows "The router is checking the ASUS server for the firmware update" and spins forever. Is anybody else seeing this?