What's new

Solved rt-ac68u ghost wifi channel 2,4Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iw2ejh

Occasional Visitor
hello

I noticed a strange behavior on my rt-ac68u router, if I scan with some of the available tool the wifi spectre, I can see a ghost trasmission that is overlapping the 2,4 ghz channel of the router.
I already noticed it in the past but never investigate further.
THis ghost signal is following the channel I set on the 2,4 Ghz band setting.
I attached a picture showing how it appear. I have two ac-rt68u at home, only one router is showing that ghost channel.
From the picture, the ghost channel have mac add 16:0A:C5:9D:9E:05 and is following the channel 8 with the mac 38:D5:47:20:69:48.

Any suggestion what could be the cause of this duplicated signal?

Attachments

• screenwifi.jpg
    screenwifi.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 136
It's typically caused by things that have WiFi remote controllers (e.g. Xbox's) or do "casting" (WiFi Direct on TV's).

Thank you for your advise, I did a search based on your suggestion, and finally I found it, it is a Amazon FIreTV stick. I now have to check the settings because the second FireStick I own, do not show that behavior.
Firestick and Rokus with wifi direct are the worst..sometimes I can see a signal from them stronger than my wireles router. Like someone may want to change the TV show or run Netflix from outside on the street.

Roku used to have a wifi setting where one could turn down the power but that was removed in later updates. Even with wireless not configured my
Roku Premier spikes on channel 36 (it chose for the remote). I've placed metal around it to reduce signal...online someone suggested opening it up and clipping the antennas. Wireless only Firesticks I have burst their wifi direct on the configured channel for my wifi.. I moved one to 2.4. They
being smaller the signal is still quite strong and I wonder why they thought someome may need to operate the TV from 60 feet away.