What's new

RT-AC68U Google play store updates and Youtube not working Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgriffy

New Around Here
UPDATE: Plugged the old linksys router back in. Changed the subnet from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.1.1 so I could have both routers up at the same time. Connected to Linksys, phone connects to play store and downloads updates and new apps just fine. Connected to Asus, it just sits there waiting for download.

I just replaced my linksys router with the RT-AC68U. I installed the Merlin firmware (384.15) on it I haven't really done much of anything configuration wise except turning on the AiProtection network protection and the firewall. I don't recall if things were ok prior to turning those on, but have since turned them off with no change.

The problem is my android devices (Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy A50) cannot update or install apps via the google play store nor play videos at Youtube through the router. If I shut off wifi (edit - shut off wifi on the phones, not the router) and do the same thing over the mobile network they both work fine.

The only internet available to me in the area I live is either satellite (not gonna happen) or a line of site wireless through the utility company in the small town near me. The wireless radio that connects to the internet is described as a a single port wireless router and that by adding my own router it creates a double nat issue. I suspect this has something to do with the issues, but not clear why it wasn't a problem with the old linksys router. They say they can make a configuration change to make it work but I would need to know the TCP and UDP ports I need open. I have no idea what those would be as my spouse works from home and has VOIP and a thin client. We also have a PS4, and Dish tv that need through. I don't believe there is anything else that would be needed. All of these currently are working, so I don't know if I want to do something that would break them.

Obviously, I know just enough about all of this to be dangerous. Not opposed to figuring it out on my own, I just don't know where to start looking. I would appreciate any clues anyone could offer. I only switched routers because Dish was telling me that the router could be causing interference issues with the wireless joey connection to the tv. I thought that was bs because the dish stuff was using 5g wireless and the wireless on the linksys was 2.4 but I played their little game and replaced (shocker - didn't help).

I have successfully configured DD-WRT and Tomato in the past, so it's not like I'm totally clueless, just can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you running a firewall or VPN on these devices?
No VPN or firewall. Verizon safe is running, but I turned all of that off, no change. Note 8 is same phone I've been using, the other is new about the same time as router upgrade. So I know the note 8 used to do updates and youtube ok

Do you know anyone else with an Android device that could try the same on your network?

Permissions on Android can always trip one up but the fact that these problems do not follow on mobile data doesn't really point to that - it never hurts to try to turn all on anyway. (for Play and YouTube app if that is what you are using)

Have you rebooted the radio/router from the ISP? You might have a WAN address that Google has blacklisted for sone reason. Strange things can happen after you change the device MAC behind the ISP equipment.

Do you know anyone else with an Android device that could try the same on your network?
I tried a fire tablet that I added the play store to. Same thing. It does say it can't connect to the server instead of the waiting for download message I get on the phones.

Rebooted the radio, no change
Have you rebooted the radio/router from the ISP? You might have a WAN address that Google has blacklisted for sone reason. Strange things can happen after you change the device MAC behind the ISP equipment.

Instead of just a reboot of the network equipment (modem/ONT and router/switches), try doing a full power off and disconnecting all power, Ethernet and USB cables they have connected too for at least 10 minutes (60 minutes or more is better).