What's new

[RT-AC68U] How to get mesh nodes to use different channels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jac Huzef

New Around Here
Hi, how do I get mesh nodes to use different non-interfering channels?

I currently have one master and one slave mesh node. The master and slave node are both in AP mode.

I have a wired backhaul, Connection Priority" is set to Ethernet, Connection Type is "Wired".

If I set the channel to Auto the slave mesh node keeps picking the same channel as the master. Then the master keeps changing channels, possibly due to interference with the slave. The slave node then changes channels to follow the master... Rinse, repeat...

Each time the channels change, client connections get interrupted or dropped.

If I set the channel to a fixed channel the master and slave nodes use the same channel. This causes less disruption but seems suboptimal for performance.

All modes are supposed to use the same channel.

If the master keeps switching (and slave correctly following) look for other sources of interference and eliminate them so the master settles.

My mesh is rock solid on auto (but I have a detached house so very little outside interference).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can’t remove the interference cause the hopping, using a manually selected best channel as you have done would be the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be at least 10-15m distance or massive walls between master and node, otherwise no need for mesh.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!