What's new

RT-AC68U in repeater mode behind Xfinity Arris TG1682G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Salomon

New Around Here
I have an Xfinity Arris TG1682G as my main router. Must have that as main router because of Xfinity Home service (it won't work with the Asus RT-AC68U as the main router). When I connect the Asus router to the Arris with the 2.4GHz connection everything works fine. However, when I try to connect via the 5GHz connection, some devices will connect to the Asus and some will not. For example, my Microsoft Surafce Pro 3 works fine. However, my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S7 will not get an IP address. It just keeps trying to connect, then disconnects and tries another router. Has anyone had this same problem? If so, have you been able to correct it? I'd really like to use the Asus router in repeater mode with a 5GHz connection to the Arris modem for the increased speed/bandwidth. If I change the connection back to the 2.4GHZ connection, it works fine with all devices. The speed difference is not huge, so this is not a huge problem. But, I'd really like the faster connection. Any thoughts, anyone?

Best regards - David

My recommendation - don't try to repeat off Comcast's residential gateway (RG) - put your Router/AP into it's DMZ, and manage your network from there.

The RG needs to be the primary router to support the services other than broadband internet access - e.g. TV set-top, telephony/dial tone perhaps, but they generally do have a DMZ to allow customer to attach their own equipment for LAN services with broadband access...

There was an issue with the TG1882G, but Comcast has firmware that fixes it, and you might already have it flashed on your device...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!