What's new

RT-AC68U Issue accessing remotely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gr7_b

New Around Here
Hello friends. I am experiencing a weird issue and could really appreciate some guidance.

I've had an AC68U for a while. I use the ASUS DDNS to access the router config page remotely, as well as log in to my Synology NAS via web. I also have VPN enabled and all worked great

Recently, I've been having a weird issue where I cannot access anything unless I restart the router. I ruled out DDNS issues because I can't even access using my external IP address. When I restart the router, everything works great again for a day or two, then need to restart again.

I am on the latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45713 , and I don't recall having made any settings changes.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated

Hello friends. I am experiencing a weird issue and could really appreciate some guidance.

I've had an AC68U for a while. I use the ASUS DDNS to access the router config page remotely, as well as log in to my Synology NAS via web. I also have VPN enabled and all worked great

Recently, I've been having a weird issue where I cannot access anything unless I restart the router. I ruled out DDNS issues because I can't even access using my external IP address. When I restart the router, everything works great again for a day or two, then need to restart again.

I am on the latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45713 , and I don't recall having made any settings changes.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forums. :)

What other features or settings past the defaults are you using on your router?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual installation?

Is the VPN you're using the OpenVPN within the router, or a commercial VPN?

Longshot; are there any special characters, reserved names, spaces or punctuation or smiley face symbols in your SSID's, Username, passwords, and other such fields?

Answering the above questions may help someone here help you better. :)

Thanks for the fast response.

I am using the built-in OpenVPN of the router, DDNS (asuscomm), have 3 manually assigned IPs . WAN, NAT, and UPnP are all enabled, IPv6 is disabled, and I have two ports forwarded (for the NAS to be accessed. Yes, my router password includes the & (ampersand) symbol, no special characters in SSID or WiFi password.

I don't recall ever doing a full factory reset of the router since I got it in 2014. I would want to avoid that, if possible, out of fear that something else could break :)

Like I said, everything was working fine for years... not sure what could have changed

Thanks again

Like I said, everything was working fine for years... not sure what could have changed
3.0.0.4.384_45713 only came out 2 weeks ago, so that's a change. When was the last time you successfully accessed your network remotely? There was a change in 3.0.0.4.384.45149 that says "Modified “Port Forwarding” user interface". Maybe they broke something.

Thanks - I upgraded the firmware only a couple days ago, in hopes of FIXING the problem. The problem has been happening before that for last month or so

I think you'll have to do some more investigation into when this problem occurs. Then have a look in the router's syslog to see if there are any messages around the same time.

Thanks ColinTaylor.. will monitor that for the next few days and post the log to see if any of you can identify something wrong

Thanks for the fast response.

I am using the built-in OpenVPN of the router, DDNS (asuscomm), have 3 manually assigned IPs . WAN, NAT, and UPnP are all enabled, IPv6 is disabled, and I have two ports forwarded (for the NAS to be accessed. Yes, my router password includes the & (ampersand) symbol, no special characters in SSID or WiFi password.

I don't recall ever doing a full factory reset of the router since I got it in 2014. I would want to avoid that, if possible, out of fear that something else could break :)

Thanks again

If 2014 was the last time you have performed a reset to factory defaults followed by a minimum and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP, then that would be the first thing I would do. :)

Please see my signature below for the M&M Config link to get your router to a good/known state.

See the link below to see why a reset to factory defaults is required. ;)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Thanks a lot - I'll give that a try over the weekend. Will that cause me to lose my DDNS alias? Or can I just put the same name in the field and be good to go?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!