1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U latest official firmware slow wifi-lan transfer rate

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Stuey3D, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Stuey3D

Stuey3D Occasional Visitor

Hi all

I have an RT-AC68U that I like to keep updated on the latest firmware, however the last 2 official firmware builds has caused the transfer rate from my MyCloud NAS (GigE) to my laptop (AC wifi 866Mb/s) to drop significantly.

On previous firmware builds I consistently got 60MB/s and on the latest firmware I get anywhere between 14MB/s - 30MB/s maximum. I can rule out the MyCloud as when I connect the laptop via Ethernet I get well over 100MB/s transfer rate.

I can safely say that its the firmware as when I tried RMerlin's 384.5 release the speed returned to normal, however as I don't use any of the more advanced features of Merlin and it appears that Asus are locking down the firmware code making it more difficult for him to work his magic I dropped back to the stock firmware.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so is there a fix for it or is it a case of file a bug report to asus and hope that it gets fixed?

Grisu likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Blinkyz

Blinkyz Senior Member

4. Stuey3D

Ahh crap I didn’t notice the other thread so mods sorry for the duplicate.

I am glad I’m not the only one having this issue, and that ASUS already have a beta firmware that fixes this which hopefully means the next release should fix this issue.

Personally I don’t transfer huge amounts to my NAS so I can live with the reduced speeds for a bit, which is good as I can’t be bothered to roll back erase the NVRAM and then set up again, already done that a few times haha.

Mods you can merge or delete this thread as you see fit.

5. Stuey3D

Latest firmware 384_21140 fixes this issue.

kfp likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!