What's new

RT-AC68U & Merlin very slow data transfer to NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

Hi everyone,

I am copying some files from my win10 pc to my synology NAS, file speeds are about a dismal 2MB/s, they used to be about 80MB/s.

Is there any router firmware (Merlin) settings I should check to rule out the router as a possible bottleneck??

PC - is connected to router cat 6a and NAS is connected to router cat 6a.

Thanks

If both devices are plugged directly into the router's LAN ports then there's nothing that can be configured on the router that would have any effect. The data is going directly between the switch ports (just like a dumb switch), it's not going "through" the router.

If both devices are plugged directly into the router's LAN ports then there's nothing that can be configured on the router that would have any effect. The data is going directly between the switch ports (just like a dumb switch), it's not going "through" the router.

Thanks

So issue more than likely is the NAS or NAS settings.

Or cables used. :)

I have 2 x Synology NASs on my network and have experienced similar issues in the past. The router isn't the bottleneck here.

Check out:
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/121376
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/123517

Also, how much space do you have free on the NAS? One of my NASs has a capacity of 16.2TB (SHR2) and whenever the free space drops below 50GB, everything slows down considerably.

Thanks I will take a look. It's a DS712+ w/4GB ram 2 drives raid 0 - 0.56TB o f 2TB used

Thanks I will take a look. It's a DS712+ w/4GB ram 2 drives raid 0 - 0.56TB o f 2TB used

I think my NAS slows down when the free space drops below 50GB because of the SHR2 (RAID 6) setup. You wouldn't have that issue.

How are you accessing the share? Have you tried using the IP address instead of the hostname (or vice versa)? I had been using the hostname for a while, but then a couple of months ago my main PC (Windows 10 - running Insider builds) would randomly stop resolving the hostname until I rebooted it. I could access every other device on my network with their respective hostnames (including the second NAS) and other computers could access the primary NAS. I ended up using the IP address instead and everything has been fine since.

I can't remember exactly what I did to sort out the slow transfer speeds... it was a few years ago and knowing me, I probably made multiple changes all at the same time so wouldn't be able to say exactly what resolved it.

I do remember it occurring multiple times though, and determined that it was caused by either a DSM or Windows update. There are loads of threads about this issue on the Synology forums, going back quite a few years. To help you out, I've quickly gone through some of the threads and listed below the things I know I've done:
  • disabled IPv6 on the Synology
  • disabled IPv6 on the Windows machine
  • enable NetBIOS over TCP/IPv4 (Adaptor settings > Advanced > WINS)

I think my NAS slows down when the free space drops below 50GB because of the SHR2 (RAID 6) setup. You wouldn't have that issue.

How are you accessing the share? Have you tried using the IP address instead of the hostname (or vice versa)? I had been using the hostname for a while, but then a couple of months ago my main PC (Windows 10 - running Insider builds) would randomly stop resolving the hostname until I rebooted it. I could access every other device on my network with their respective hostnames (including the second NAS) and other computers could access the primary NAS. I ended up using the IP address instead and everything has been fine since.

I can't remember exactly what I did to sort out the slow transfer speeds... it was a few years ago and knowing me, I probably made multiple changes all at the same time so wouldn't be able to say exactly what resolved it.

I do remember it occurring multiple times though, and determined that it was caused by either a DSM or Windows update. There are loads of threads about this issue on the Synology forums, going back quite a few years. To help you out, I've quickly gone through some of the threads and listed below the things I know I've done:
  • disabled IPv6 on the Synology
  • disabled IPv6 on the Windows machine
  • enable NetBIOS over TCP/IPv4 (Adaptor settings > Advanced > WINS)

Thanks

I did the first two bullets on your list and transferred an win iso through windows file explorer to the NAS
PC to NAS - 113MB/s
Nas to PC - 108MB/s down to 77MB/s then back to 100-ish again, up and down (probably a buffer or cpu limitation in the NAS?)

So all good now at least for single large files. I will try a 4GB folder of pictures later and see how that works, I know multiple smaller files are slower, but it was less then a MB/s before, a crappy usb 2 key was way faster, so we'll see.

Thanks for the help/pointers.

USB 2.0 is faster than over a 1Gbps connection for small files (depending on the quality of the USB drive and how small the files are). :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!