What's new

RT-AC68U mesh performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
I've just picked up another RT-AC68U which I've configured and set up as an Ai Mesh node and successfully paired with my existing RT-AC68U. The ethernet connection between the router node and mesh node is via two gigabit switches, the main one connected directly to the router and a second one connected to the main one with the AiMesh mode connected to the second switch. When I run iPerf from my iPhone whilst connected to the 5G wifi, I get around 380Mbps when connected to the main router but less than half that when connected to the Ai Mesh node. I've verified from the router GUI that the iPhone is connected to the mesh node so it's not distance from a strong signal that's the reason for the relative slowness.

Ultimately the mesh node will be sited in the loft and connected to the router over ethernet via a patch panel, but I've not yet sorted out the cabling in the loft, hence the current config, but I'm wondering if that fact that the AI mesh node is not directly connected to the router is causing an issue with speed?

I've just picked up another RT-AC68U which I've configured and set up as an Ai Mesh node and successfully paired with my existing RT-AC68U. The ethernet connection between the router node and mesh node is via two gigabit switches, the main one connected directly to the router and a second one connected to the main one with the AiMesh mode connected to the second switch. When I run iPerf from my iPhone whilst connected to the 5G wifi, I get around 380Mbps when connected to the main router but less than half that when connected to the Ai Mesh node. I've verified from the router GUI that the iPhone is connected to the mesh node so it's not distance from a strong signal that's the reason for the relative slowness.

Ultimately the mesh node will be sited in the loft and connected to the router over ethernet via a patch panel, but I've not yet sorted out the cabling in the loft, hence the current config, but I'm wondering if that fact that the AI mesh node is not directly connected to the router is causing an issue with speed?

AiMesh auto detects the wired backhaul. A switch can defeat this; AiMesh will then fall back to using a wireless backhaul. So, make sure you set the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet.

OE

AiMesh auto detects the wired backhaul. A switch can defeat this; AiMesh will then fall back to using a wireless backhaul. So, make sure you set the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet.

OE
Ah, thanks a lot - just checked the mesh node config and connection priority was set to Auto and connection type displayed as wireless, so set it to ethernet and I'm getting the expected speeds now.

It would seem that the two switches in the ethernet connection path don't have much, if any, impact, though they're Cisco business-grade managed switches

Ah, thanks a lot - just checked the mesh node config and connection priority was set to Auto and connection type displayed as wireless, so set it to ethernet and I'm getting the expected speeds now.

It would seem that the two switches in the ethernet connection path don't have much, if any, impact, though they're Cisco business-grade managed switches

We're not sure what Asus really means when they blame switches for auto detect not working. I'm sure your switches are fine.

OE

Dump AiMesh and use AP mode with your wired connection and there's no mysterious issues. Plus you regain full control of your AP node and get a stable network!