1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U mesh performance

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Johno, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Johno

Johno Regular Contributor

I've just picked up another RT-AC68U which I've configured and set up as an Ai Mesh node and successfully paired with my existing RT-AC68U. The ethernet connection between the router node and mesh node is via two gigabit switches, the main one connected directly to the router and a second one connected to the main one with the AiMesh mode connected to the second switch. When I run iPerf from my iPhone whilst connected to the 5G wifi, I get around 380Mbps when connected to the main router but less than half that when connected to the Ai Mesh node. I've verified from the router GUI that the iPhone is connected to the mesh node so it's not distance from a strong signal that's the reason for the relative slowness.

Ultimately the mesh node will be sited in the loft and connected to the router over ethernet via a patch panel, but I've not yet sorted out the cabling in the loft, hence the current config, but I'm wondering if that fact that the AI mesh node is not directly connected to the router is causing an issue with speed?

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

AiMesh auto detects the wired backhaul. A switch can defeat this; AiMesh will then fall back to using a wireless backhaul. So, make sure you set the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet.

OE

Johno likes this.
  3. Johno

Johno Regular Contributor

Ah, thanks a lot - just checked the mesh node config and connection priority was set to Auto and connection type displayed as wireless, so set it to ethernet and I'm getting the expected speeds now.

It would seem that the two switches in the ethernet connection path don't have much, if any, impact, though they're Cisco business-grade managed switches

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

We're not sure what Asus really means when they blame switches for auto detect not working. I'm sure your switches are fine.

OE

5. Smokindog

Smokindog Senior Member

Dump AiMesh and use AP mode with your wired connection and there's no mysterious issues. Plus you regain full control of your AP node and get a stable network!