What's new

RT-AC68U new firmware:3.0.0.4.380.4118

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
I just upgraded AC68U to new firmare 3.0.0.4.380.4118. I downloaded and installed it from my rotuer.
Administration>Firmware Upgrade>Check, I didn't check 'Get Beta Firmware'. But I can't find that firmware from Asus support website or anywhere else. I forgot the exact Description for the changes. But I remember there are 3 bug fixes. Two of them are related in VPN, and I don't remember the last one.
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.380.4118
Upgrade result: I don't feel any diffrences.
Issue: After installation this, I can see
'rc_service: httpd 437:notify_rc start_webs_update' many times in the 'System Log - General Log'.
What's wrong with this firmware?

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_4118-g7f117e6
- Release Note -

openvpn client
- [bugfix] fixed wrong config after upload profile
- Issue occurs in Extra HMAC authorization Bi-directional case.

- [Update] Fine tune timezone list for Istanbul

I just upgraded AC68U to new firmare 3.0.0.4.380.4118. I downloaded and installed it from my rotuer.
Administration>Firmware Upgrade>Check, I didn't check 'Get Beta Firmware'. But I can't find that firmware from Asus support website or anywhere else. I forgot the exact Description for the changes. But I remember there are 3 bug fixes. Two of them are related in VPN, and I don't remember the last one.
'rc_service: httpd 437:notify_rc start_webs_update' many times in the 'System Log - General Log'.

This bug has been present for a number of builds. I have it on 380.1842. The sure-fire solution to eliminating it is to disable https access to the router and instead enable only http access. Its too bad that https is affected. I like the option of being able to log into the router remotely, and I won't do it with only http access.

I wonder if Asus may be starting to no longer have the firmware on the website since the firmware changes are now available within the router GUI when you check for updates.

I wonder if Asus may be starting to no longer have the firmware on the website since the firmware changes are now available within the router GUI when you check for updates.

Unlikely, since a router failing to connect to the Internet would require you to provide it with a firmware image to flash it.

Recent updates are fairly minor bugfixes from what I can see, as all of their efforts are currently on the new major update they've been working on these past few months. Maybe they are also testing out the new update mechanism that was recently introduced (where they can even push a changelog along with the new update notification).

I did upgrade my RT-AC68U through the steps behind the yellow exclamation sign.
To see the change log is convinient.
The changes seems to be so minor, one can wonder if that was really worth a firmware upgrade other then test the new notification mechanism. Probably there is more changed then documented in the change log.

I have mentioned it before, the router firmware upgrade process is still for for semi experts only. The majority of router owners have no clue.
Ideally firmware upgrades shall be like e.g. Android upgrades: give the expert user the option to disable automatic updates, otherwise perform silent upgrades in the background.
Of course this requires flawless and well tested upgrade packages without the need to revert to factory defaults and start from scratch (even after two major operating system upgrades of my Android tablet I never had to setup it up from scratch again). And no sneaky surprises with e.g. cloud features like Cisco-Linksys introduced in a certain firmware upgrade years ago.
Are we limited because the todays Asus router firmware is still based on the firmware of the WRT54 series? Is it like the VW Beetle, too robust to say goodbye? Is the awaited major firmware upgrade more future proof?

Anyway, no noticible other behaviour of the router sofar.

If they fine tune the timezone list for Istanbul, please also update it for Time Zone: (GMT+1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern:
DST time zone changes starts: 3th month, last Sunday, 2 AM.
DST time zone changes ends: 10th month, last Sunday, 3 AM.

Notice, the last Sunday is not allways the 5th it can also be the 4th of the month. Anyway below setting is the best you can get:

upload_2016-11-15_7-16-48.png

Last edited:
The option to disable 2.4ghz b/g protection is still broken. You can uncheck it, but once you apply/save, it automagically rechecks.

Interestingly while I had this bug with 380.1842, I am not seeing it with 380.4118. I made no changes to the settings before or after upgrading the firmware.

If they fine tune the timezone list for Istanbul, please also update it for Time Zone: (GMT+1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern:
DST time zone changes starts: 3th month, last Sunday, 2 AM.
DST time zone changes ends: 10th month, last Sunday, 3 AM.

Notice, the last Sunday is not allways the 5th it can also be the 4th of the month. Anyway below setting is the best you can get:

View attachment 7733

I tested on DSL-AC68U, think its same behavior on this one.
If you set it to 5th that is not 5th but should be named correctly LAST.
Set in a month with only 4 sundays it will change it on 4th even if you have set it to 5th.
Relating to 5th in such months with no 5th sunday it has to do nothing, but thats not the case.

-> It works correct for EU set to 5th, but they named it wrong!!!

Corretion should only be in naming of the field, function is ok and should be unchanged.

But you have to recall the site, otherwise it will show "old" unchanged time after DST-change.
It suddenly will correct shown time on system-log page.

Last edited:
Just upgraded my RT-AC68U to this version this morning, and I can't get the NTP sync to work. Tried several different time servers, but I get the message "hour monitor: nap sync fail, will retry after 120 sec". Anyone else seeing this? Tried rebooting a couple of times, but no good - my router thinks it's August of 2015!

I tested on DSL-AC68U, think its same behavior on this one.
If you set it to 5th that is not 5th but should be named correctly LAST.
Set in a month with only 4 sundays it will change it on 4th even if you have set it to 5th.
Relating to 5th in such months with no 5th sunday it has to do nothing, but thats not the case.

-> It works correct for EU set to 5th, but they named it wrong!!!

Corretion should only be in naming of the field, function is ok and should be unchanged.

But you have to recall the site, otherwise it will show "old" unchanged time after DST-change.
It suddenly will correct shown time on system-log page.
The setting I posted does work, but you are correct they should only change the text "5th" into "Last".
The other misallignment, after setting "Time Zone: (GMT+1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern" is that it should set the end time to 3 AM (not 2 AM).
Well, for me it are just cosmetic updates that would be nice for DST (I have sort of allergy for DST, I have seen too much trouble in systems caused by DST transitions).

Just upgraded my RT-AC68U to this version this morning, and I can't get the NTP sync to work. Tried several different time servers, but I get the message "hour monitor: nap sync fail, will retry after 120 sec". Anyone else seeing this? Tried rebooting a couple of times, but no good - my router thinks it's August of 2015!
All I can say is that time sync does work for my RT-AC68U, with the default NTP server: pool.ntp.org

Thanks for the replies, maxbraketorque and wouterv. Not sure where I go from here - since the issue started when I updated the firmware, I may have to factory reset the router and re-enter all my settings. I'll post the result...

I just noticed this thread on the Taiwanese asus web pile: http://www.asus.com/tw/forum/list?aid=67908 . Google translate gave me this (distorted) message from one Lisa_ASUS:

alexendra, hello

Sorry, firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380.4118 has yet to put on the official website, we recommend that you wait for the firmware version after the release of the official website, try using the manual update, thank you!

About your case number issued to C161136434 , For inquiries, please call 0800-093456 by the Commissioner for you online, the inconvenience, please forgive me!​

The message is dated 2016-11-15.

I just noticed this thread on the Taiwanese asus web pile: http://www.asus.com/tw/forum/list?aid=67908 . Google translate gave me this (distorted) message from one Lisa_ASUS:

alexendra, hello

Sorry, firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380.4118 has yet to put on the official website, we recommend that you wait for the firmware version after the release of the official website, try using the manual update, thank you!

About your case number issued to C161136434 , For inquiries, please call 0800-093456 by the Commissioner for you online, the inconvenience, please forgive me!​

The message is dated 2016-11-15.
Hmmm...I updated Friday morning (11/18) via the update function in the firmware, not the manual update. I'd downloaded the latest update binary but decided to use the automatic update function, and was surprised to get the later version. Interesting...

Sync works fine for me as well.

I use the time servers for my area.
us.pool.ntp.org

Trying to auto update in the firmware GUI and keeps failing saying can't connect to Asus server. I'm on the 68P in which I haven't used in months and just hooked it up a few minutes ago.