What's new

RT-AC68U - No Wifi Power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DualPlatform

Occasional Visitor
History: My in-laws purchased (on my direction) a TMobile branded Asus AC1900 so that I could flash it into a true RT-AC68U. I have previously done this 2 times before with no issues. Unfortunately the return period elapsed before I could get my hands on the unit and test it out only to find that the wifi was little to non-existent. This didn't matter if the unit was on the original TMobile firmware, ASUS proper, or Merlin (my preferred fw).

You must be within 1ft of the router before you can detect a signal and even then you may see 1 or 2 bars on a typical device. Using a standard wifi-scanner app on a smart phone the signal is dwarfed by my neighbors from across the street when I'm in the same room as the unit.

All other functions on the router work just fine, just the wifi that's bad.

Things that have been tried thus far:
1. The unit has been flashed numerous times. Additionally I've tried a power boosted CFE as well as making sure the wifi power settings when using Merlin were cranked as high as I could get them.

2. I have also tried other antenna on the device, those from other known working ASUS routers and nothing changes

3. I've opened the unit thinking there might be some bad solder points on the antenna connectors. I haven't hit them with my soldering iron yet but that may be my next move.

I've dug through the forums and general internet not finding much regarding this issue. It leads me to believe that the unit is just bad and nothing can be done. I don't like giving up so I'm posting here as a last effort to get this RT-AC68U working.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. If nothing else I'll use this as a wired only router for my in-laws and get them another AP.

Thanks!
-Kirk

broken 2G hardware, not much you could do.
Use its 5G to extend fast Wifi and LAN, 2G coverage from some other main router.

You got it for 40USD, so nothing to cry and take another working one (still cheap for totally $80).

History: My in-laws purchased (on my direction) a TMobile branded Asus AC1900 so that I could flash it into a true RT-AC68U.

You gave them some bad advice... and prepare to catch some heck as it's the in-laws :D

Go over to the store and buy them a router that is supported... and then come back and ask questions.

broken 2G hardware, not much you could do.
Use its 5G to extend fast Wifi and LAN, 2G coverage from some other main router.

You got it for 40USD, so nothing to cry and take another working one (still cheap for totally $80).

Unfortunately both bands have crapped out. Agree probably a lost cause other than basic routing over wired connections.

You gave them some bad advice... and prepare to catch some heck as it's the in-laws :D

Go over to the store and buy them a router that is supported... and then come back and ask questions.

Hardly bad advice for anyone to get one of the better routers for 1/3 the cost of a new "supported" model. Besides they wouldn't know the difference as they are not technical at all. Lets just say they were stuck in the parking lot of the dealer for 20 minutes after buying a new car because they didn't know how to start it.

The purchase is always about the best option for the least amount of money. Given the track record of 2 previous flashing of these units I'd still prefer it over paying retail in the store for "support". We all know most of this stuff will either work or it won't. Per my post, I would have returned had I gotten to the unit before the return period ran out.

Perhaps someone will respond with some odd fix requiring replacing a board component. Otherwise I may have to just keep it around my parts bin as another wired router/switch.

Hardly bad advice for anyone to get one of the better routers for 1/3 the cost of a new "supported" model.

Discussion converting of the T-Mobile devices is a quick way to a ban-hammer on the forums here.

The forums do not support it...

Discussion converting of the T-Mobile devices is a quick way to a ban-hammer on the forums here.

The forums do not support it...

I had no intentions of asking for support of, nor discussion of, the device flashing process. It was never the intent or focus of my post. I had incorrectly assumed that you were referring strictly to manufacturer support and not the support of others on the forum. That said I can see how my post and response may lead a reader to believe otherwise, my apologies for that.

The intention of my post was strictly hardware related (mainboard, antenna, etc). I included the extra details as I wanted to be as transparent as possible regarding what hardware I was dealing with and what processes had already been performed.

If a moderator would like to delete this entire thread please do so. I consider it a closed thread at this point. Thanks!

I had no intentions of asking for support of, nor discussion of, the device flashing process. It was never the intent or focus of my post. I had incorrectly assumed that you were referring strictly to manufacturer support and not the support of others on the forum. That said I can see how my post and response may lead a reader to believe otherwise, my apologies for that.

The intention of my post was strictly hardware related (mainboard, antenna, etc). I included the extra details as I wanted to be as transparent as possible regarding what hardware I was dealing with and what processes had already been performed.

If a moderator would like to delete this entire thread please do so. I consider it a closed thread at this point. Thanks!

learned lesson:
Dont ask for TM support with non TM-firmware in this forum as it is not allowed to speak about, not even that its possible or not.
Get an 68U (nobody can look inside your devices) and ask again.
But nevertheless, for this device nobody could help even if it would be original 68U.
There is no knowledge to repair them and its not worth at all as they're much to cheap to search defective chips or components.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!