RT-AC68U no working OpenVPN

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

DutchMike

Occasional Visitor
My kid thought it was funny to disable WiFi, but instead of pulling the power cord, she pressed the reset button and held it... After having a good laugh -not- I got stuck with a rather strange problem;

Adding the devices back was done in a jiffy, but I cannot get the VPN to work again. What ever I do, I get the same error over and over again.
TLS Auth Error: --client-config-dir authentication failed for common name 'client' file='ccd/client'

There is nothing changed on the Router, except that it had a factory reset by my kid. In August I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted without a glitch and kept working till yesterday. The settings I used before, are not working anymore and all produce the error above. Even when I start from scratch and let every setting at default; I still get this error in the logging.
I'm running 384.19 for a while now and basic openVPN (iPhone and laptop connect to router from elsewhere) was never a problem, until now.

I've searched for 2 days now and I only found some suggestions to ssh to the router and add/change stuff... That shouldn't be nessecary, would it?
Anyone any idea how this problem can arise like this? and better: Is there a solution?
 

bbunge

Very Senior Member
My kid thought it was funny to disable WiFi, but instead of pulling the power cord, she pressed the reset button and held it... After having a good laugh -not- I got stuck with a rather strange problem;

Adding the devices back was done in a jiffy, but I cannot get the VPN to work again. What ever I do, I get the same error over and over again.
TLS Auth Error: --client-config-dir authentication failed for common name 'client' file='ccd/client'

There is nothing changed on the Router, except that it had a factory reset by my kid. In August I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted without a glitch and kept working till yesterday. The settings I used before, are not working anymore and all produce the error above. Even when I start from scratch and let every setting at default; I still get this error in the logging.
I'm running 384.19 for a while now and basic openVPN (iPhone and laptop connect to router from elsewhere) was never a problem, until now.

I've searched for 2 days now and I only found some suggestions to ssh to the router and add/change stuff... That shouldn't be nessecary, would it?
Anyone any idea how this problem can arise like this? and better: Is there a solution?
With a factory reset you will need to Export OpenVPN configuration file for the "new" configuration. The old config file will not work.
 

DutchMike

Occasional Visitor
With a factory reset you will need to Export OpenVPN configuration file for the "new" configuration. The old config file will not work.
Good point, but I actually did generated the new ovpn-file and certificates for every new configuration I made and loaded it into the device I was connecting with.
 

DutchMike

Occasional Visitor
Solved... by stupid me self... In my effort to solve the problem asap I misread the config document I made and checked yes at "Allow only specified clients" in the advanced setting instead of no... With no entries in the "Allowed Clients" section, there is no valid connection possible. Checking No solved the problem.
With everything working again, I'm going to sit in a corner and feel ashamed.
 

Similar threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top