What's new

RT-AC68U OpenVPN Server Slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BTW, i am testing this out in my home/office, so can change the wan/lan isps and client isps and all that. i have 3 isps in my office/home.
I connected the client to same router to whcih the pfsense firewall/ryzen is connected. the client has 192.168.4.123 and the lan ip of pfsense lan side pc (smb host) has 192.7.7.16 (through a switch conected to pfsense lan port). now i get over 40MBps copy speed. i.e. over 300mbps speed!!! thus, the pfsense seems to handle it fine (although the cpu only reaches 11% load at max). does this mean my pfsense side isp is not giving 200mbps upload and IT IS the problem??? please help.
btw this 40MBps or 320mbps is for the wireguard server. for the openvpn server (keeping client in same router as pfsense, i.e. same setup) the speed is 23MBps or 184mbps.

From the chaotic information above - no idea what are you talking about, sorry. Your VPN Server will be always limited by ISP upload speed - whatever ISP you use. I can't help you fix something as complex as pfSense with messages in a forum if there is a configuration issue. It's an entire router OS.

I'm using an older Netgate 5100 appliance at home based on Intel Denverton CPU. It runs pfSense. My ISP line is 500/30. OpenVPN Client to local public VPN server can do about 350Mbps, but I don't use it - don't need VPN Client there. OpenVPN server can do about 42Mbps obviously limited by the upload speed minus some overhead. I use it for remote access and the speed is good enough. WireGuard in pfSense is experimental and I don't use it.

I have a gigabit ISP and I get around 850-920/300 Mbps without VPN according to speednet. Download speed using NordVPN openvpn configured on my rt-ac68u maxes out at 40-45 Mbps. Slow. So I set up a Raspberry Pi 4 as a VPN gateway. When set to openvpn, i get around 90-100 Mbps download speeds. Using nordlynx (wireguard) my download speeds are between 500-700 Mbps. Huge difference at the relatively low cost of the added Raspberry Pi 4. It isn't set as an openwrt router, just the standard 64bit raspberry pi os, so it isn't a dedicated router and can be used as a low-end desktop at the same time.

I have a gigabit ISP and I get around 850-920/300 Mbps without VPN according to speednet. Download speed using NordVPN openvpn configured on my rt-ac68u maxes out at 40-45 Mbps. Slow. So I set up a Raspberry Pi 4 as a VPN gateway. When set to openvpn, i get around 90-100 Mbps download speeds. Using nordlynx (wireguard) my download speeds are between 500-700 Mbps. Huge difference at the relatively low cost of the added Raspberry Pi 4. It isn't set as an openwrt router, just the standard 64bit raspberry pi os, so it isn't a dedicated router and can be used as a low-end desktop at the same time.
hi. thanks for the helpful info. i am really surprised at the speeds u r getting with rasp pi and nordlynx. didnt imagine raspberry pi would be soooooo powerful. But, i am hosting a wireguard server on an asus tuf ax5400; NOT client of external vpn. i think this server thing (rather than client) requires much more power, and thus the pi would prove less useful. anyway i dont have any experience with pi's, just the pikvm that i use for remoting into my another lan pc. but now that u have shared this info, giving a raspberry pi a fair shot could be a future project of mine.

hi. thanks for the helpful info. i am really surprised at the speeds u r getting with rasp pi and nordlynx. didnt imagine raspberry pi would be soooooo powerful. But, i am hosting a wireguard server on an asus tuf ax5400; NOT client of external vpn. i think this server thing (rather than client) requires much more power, and thus the pi would prove less useful. anyway i dont have any experience with pi's, just the pikvm that i use for remoting into my another lan pc. but now that u have shared this info, giving a raspberry pi a fair shot could be a future project of mine.
I'm happy to be of help. The RPi4 is much more powerful than the rt-ac68u and probably more powerful than routers in the same price range. I did experiment with openwrt on the RPi4 but missed something and couldn't get wireguard working. OpenVPN on the RPi4, while more than twice as fast as OpenVPN on the rt-ac68u, is just not in the same league with wireguard/nordlynx on the RPi4. The rt-ac68u can easily be configured to use a lan default gateway and all connected network devices now use vpn tunnel it provides. DHCP and DNS are provided for by the rt-ac68u.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!