RT-AC68u pppoe issues

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

silaji

New Around Here
Hi all,
I've got a problem with the router, the pppoe connection fails, the router does not send the PADR back to the isp after the PADO, does anyone know what is going on?
The issue started happening after a restart. Right now I am running the merlin fw, I did do a hard reset, and formatted the jffs partition.

Thanks!

EDIT: with the stock firmware the same happens
 
Last edited:

joe scian

Very Senior Member
Hi all,
I've got a problem with the router, the pppoe connection fails, the router does not send the PADR back to the isp after the PADO, does anyone know what is going on?
The issue started happening after a restart. Right now I am running the merlin fw, I did do a hard reset, and formatted the jffs partition.

Thanks!

EDIT: with the stock firmware the same happens
Did you reboot the bridged Modem connected to your RT-AC68U?
Make 100% sure you have the correct user name and password in WAN Settings and make sure you have MTU/MRU set at 1500, 1492 or other suitable value. What are the PADO, PADR, PADI syslog messages you are getting when PPPoE connection fails?
Are you getting PADT messages terminating the connection? Are these being sent by ISP or your Router? Do You need to clone the Mac Address in WAN Settings( special requirements ISP) to send a properly formatted PADI Packet? Do you need to insert the access concentrator name and/or service name (sometimes required by some ISPs). From your description above it seems that you never get as far as getting a PADS from the ISP. Are the DNS Servers set correctly under WAN settings? Try 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 if you are using connect to DNS Server automatically - ie try other DNS other than your ISP DNS.

"Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" to "No" fixed an issue for a particular user when combined with cloning Mac Address in WAN Settings. You may wish to give that a go when nothing else above has worked.
 
Last edited:

silaji

New Around Here
Yes, I did reboot several times, reseted to factory settings, tried different firmware versions, all the other settings are correct and taken from the ISP's router. It does not matter if I clone the MAC, use the isp's router mac or leave it empty the result is the same either way.

I am not getting any PADT packets just an infinite amount of PADI-PADO. The syslog messages do not show anything related to it, how do you enable it? After some time I might get a "timeout waiting for PADO" or something like that.

I even managed Windows of all things to establish a pppoe connection with the wan cable attached directly to the pc.

EDIT: I figured out how to enabled to log of control packets
 
Last edited:

silaji

New Around Here
I put the pppd in debug mode and the only relevant thing was: "pppd[1948]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets " and nothing else.

While clearly pado packets have been sent by the isp as you can see in the wireshark capture
1615042160358.png


The capture has been made with a switch with port mirroring
 

joe scian

Very Senior Member
Are you able to get a PPPoE successful connection with only the ISP Modem/Router in the loop? If so all I can suggest is trying a WPS Reset on the AC-68U and reconfiguring from scratch. Try and do a search of PPPoE issues with AC-68U there is a bit of history there. See if you can erase all NVRAM entries as well before WPS reset.
 

silaji

New Around Here
Did that, multiple times, last time today, nothing seems to work. I know about the pppoe disconnects this router has I have been feeling them for 2 years, this is not that.
 

joe scian

Very Senior Member
well it seems you have a brick then !
 

silaji

New Around Here
Well, everything else works in the router, or seems like it, the wan port also works. I can put it with a static ip behind a DMZ and the wan port works. It just does not make any sense. That's all
 

Nesalex

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I've got a problem with the router, the pppoe connection fails, the router does not send the PADR back to the isp after the PADO, does anyone know what is going on?
The issue started happening after a restart. Right now I am running the merlin fw, I did do a hard reset, and formatted the jffs partition.

Thanks!

EDIT: with the stock firmware the same happens
Hi. I have the same problem - at least similar. The PPPoE connection works normally, but when I turn on the VPN client later, when I restart the router, the router does not establish a connection for me. Restarting the router does not help. I need to remove the VPN client settings (not just save the disabled service) and after the restart the PPPoE connection will be re-established. I used version 386.1_2 and today I updated router firmware to the latest beta version of RT-AC68U.. Now I will set up a VPN client and try to restart the router tomorrow. We will see...
 

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top