What's new

RT-AC68U running on micro DC UPS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EronRackzak

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I got all my home 12V network devices running on a micro DC UPS which in case of a power interruption (kind of frequent where i live) keep the network up and running for as long as 8-10 hours.

The product i'm using is this.

These UPS devices are small, affordable and on top of that power efficient so i bought one per each networking device, including my main wireless router until my RT-AC68U arrived home. Didn't notice until it came that the power specification (19V) and the power jack are out of the "standard" so i can no longer attach it to this micro UPS.

Is anybody using some sort of similar DC UPS device to power the AC68U?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I'm using AC68U with this battery pack since September 2013:

BiXPower 153 Wh (42500mAh) Super High Capacity 12V & 19V External Rechargeable Battery Pack - BiXPower BP160

51MqQSci3YL.jpg

41otPa-OTnL.jpg

41iZFhmy0XL.jpg

Wow, the battery pack costs as much (more now...) as the router.

How long does it keep it powered strictly on battery?

I have seen it go for 8 hours, didn't test beyond that. If I had to guess, about 10-12 hours.

Worth it where the power source is sketchy.

UPSes are too bulky & noisy and I reserve them for NASes or PCs.

Thanks for your quick response Kris.

This is (with the exception of the price) kind of what i was looking for. The fact it is not specifically advertised as a (DC) UPS is what doesn't convince me yet since my assumption is that it's not intended specificly to be always connected and the impact it would have on its lifecycle.

I'll seriously think of this one if there are no other available options. I also want to avoid a conventional UPS.

Appreciate you took the time.

Personally I just use a <80$ Cyberpower UPS. With my cablemodem, RT-AC68U, Cisco SPA112 ATA and my cordless phone base, I get a bit over 2 hours of autonomy. I need all of this on the UPS since I have VoIP.

Personally I just use a <80$ Cyberpower UPS. With my cablemodem, RT-AC68U, Cisco SPA112 ATA and my cordless phone base, I get a bit over 2 hours of autonomy. I need all of this on the UPS since I have VoIP.
Apologies for reviving a very old thread, but which UPS, in particular, are you using?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!