What's new

RT-ac68U Slow WAN to LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geonjay

Occasional Visitor
Hello. My local provider just hooked up 1Gbps internet service - I have a fiber connection and I've just upgraded from 64Mbps. I was SUPER excited! The vendor hooked everything up and tested with his laptop by connecting directly to the ethernet connection - he his 924Mbps down, and 873Mbps up! I hooked up the AC68u, and he connected his laptop to one of the LAN ports and it maxed at 213Mbps down / 173Mbps up. I disconnected all of the other LAN ports - same results. I'm running version RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12j9527.trx and I've turned off QoS - no change. He provided a NetGear r6300v2, hooked it up and he was able to pull ~900Mbps / and ~800Mbps up...reconnected the AC68, and had the same issues.

Is this a known issue that I just haven't found in the forums? I have no problem nuking the router and starting over, but I HAVE to have asterisk running on it to provide PBX services to my local VoIP phones - so whether I go back to asus or not, I need to have asterisk around.

Thanks for any help!

You have an old firmware. Upgrade to the latest RMerlin firmware 378.54_2 or even to the beta 378.55b2 and reset to factory defaults. Now, manually and minimally configure the router to connect to your ISP and secure it.

Test if the speeds are better. If they have improved to normal, you should be able to install asterisk as you did before.

Dude..I was going to tell you "There's no way the firmware could be causing that big of a bottleneck without having someone else complaining" - but age and experience have taught me to STFU and listen. I did a factory reset and my numbers went to 313 Down / 221 Up. I then went to 378.54_2 and did a factory reset, my last test hit 918Mbps down, 937Mbps up. I just pulled a file from UseNet and hit 178Mbps down - that was with SSL!! I'm happy!!! I'll spend the weekend rebuilding the system and getting Asterisk back up - I did make backups!

I've been resistant to upgrade past 374 because of all the belly aching I've seen in the forums...so I've been using the forked version and it's been great. Now I'm being lazy with this request - are there things that I need to enable/change/disable in order to make the system work better on a 68u?

Thanks again!

What, now that you have it working you want to try to break it again? :)

I would leave everything at defaults except for experimenting what the best channel is for you, now, on both bands. And maybe using the 'short' option for the Preamble type.

Everything else is where it needs to be. Enjoy!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!