What's new

RT-AC68U USB 3.0 External Drive disappears

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chinusa

New Around Here
Actually I have a RT-AC68W, but the hardware is identical to the U, so..

Anyways, thanks to this forum, the router recognized my 2TB USB 3.0 WD GoFlex External Desk formatted in Ext4, after I disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference", Samba and FTP both work fine... but then the external drive will mysteriously disappear/disconnect from the router after a certain while. At first, I thought it was the spin down setting, but same thing happened after disabling it.

I have the latest Firmware:374.42_2 (Merlin build).

The latest firmware is 374.43_2, see if it fixes your issues.

question

can you still access the drive using

\\192.168.1.1 ( or what ever your routers lan ip address is ) ? from windows explorer

if you can its a samba issue

if you cant it may be the drive is spinning down

Last edited:
question

can you still access the drive using

\\192.168.1.1 ( or what ever your routers lan ip address is ) ? from windows explorer

if you can its a samba issue

if you cant it may be the drive is spinning down

No, I can't see it there. The Drive is offline. "Network Map" WebUI is showing "no device" under USB

Hi,

same happens to me.

- 40 - disk KO
- 41 - disk KO
- 42_2 - disk KO

i was using time machine feature - after some time disk MIA and there was no way to reconnect. Only solution was restart AC_68

Juras

If I connect the GoFlex USB 3.0 to the USB 2.0 port on the router, it will remain connected, although sometimes it does not respond when clicking the mapped drive letter or through network, and the router's webUI will freeze when clicking the hard drive under connected devices.

Any help or solution for this?

I've just lost my USB 3.0 drive after disabling the 'Reducing USB3.0 interference.

It's a 3TB WD MyDrive formatted to EXT4. Was detected and working with Samba before I disabled the interference option, but at very, very slow speeds; 1-2MB/s

FW is 3.0.0.4.376_1663.

I have the same problems. I have tried various firmware revisions, factory resets, and disabling every un-needed feature, however I still have problems accessing the drives.
I have found it is much better if there is only one drive connected to my AC68U, with 2 drives connected it is pretty much guaranteed that one or both drives will be inaccessible after awhile.
The only tip I have is that the drive access problem seems to go hand in hand with the CPU cores pegging out at 100% and not recovering. I have always still had WiFi access to the internet even with the CPU pegged and drives not usable.

It would be very good to get this problem fixed.

I have the exact same issue as described above. Mine's a 4TB HGST DeskStar, formatted as EXT4. It worked great for a few months, then it slowly started cutting out. Now it cannot mount at all. I'm using the 3.0.0.4.378_4585 FW, and have tested just about everything I can think of.

Since the drive still works great when I unplug it from the router and plug into my Ubuntu 15.04 box, I can still get some use out of it, and I'm considering building out a small media server to plug directly into the router via E-Net so as to get use of it again. But surely there's got to be a way to get this to mount without going through so much trouble! -- and I can plug in some old USB2 drives and have them mount immediately, but I'd really rather not have to pop for another big old USB2 drive.

I wonder if there is some power saving thing going on with the drive firmware (USB to ATA) - thought I would mention...

I ran into this a long time back with the NSLU2 and a 250GB Maxtor USB2 external drive - had to hook it up to Windows and run the vendor software util to disable power saving...

Did anyone solve this problem? I'm having the problem with not only AdvancedTomato but also Merlin's software. Merlin's router is using a Seagate 3TB drive and the AT is using a 4TB WD drive.

I have noticed the issue to be linked to rebooting the router with a usb hdd plugged into the usb 3.0 port. Take that FWIW

I have a RT-N18U

I also have the same issue.

The weird thing is, everything was working fine for a long time, with usb 3.0 int. enabled, then, without any alterations to the system all of a sudden it disappeared.

When I disabled the 3.0 int. option the port started to work for some time and then the drive disappears again. Usb 2.0 port works well so far.

Its frusturating.

I have the same problem on a RT-AC68P. Drive works perfectly when lugged into my Mac. Worked great for a couple of weeks on the Asus. Disappeared one day. No amount of reboot, reconfig or fiddle has brought it back. Plug it into the 2.0 socket on the Asus, and it shows up on the router again.

Does anyone know of a thorough tech reference to the ASUSWRT o/s?

I have the same problem on a RT-AC68P. Drive works perfectly when lugged into my Mac. Worked great for a couple of weeks on the Asus. Disappeared one day. No amount of reboot, reconfig or fiddle has brought it back. Plug it into the 2.0 socket on the Asus, and it shows up on the router again.

Does anyone know of a thorough tech reference to the ASUSWRT o/s?

Disable the USB 3.0 Interference setting under Wireless -> Professional (2.4 GHz band).

I'm running 3.3-138 on rt-ac68u and am also facing the same issue. I could not see anything under wireless -> profesional (I am assuming this falls under advanced ->wifi etc.
Looked all through settings & couldn't find anything with USB 3.0 interference listed
I have a SSD on USB 3.0, works fine if attached to usb 2.0
Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated. TIA to any & all who can help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!