What's new

RT-AC68U use OpenVPN Client connection for specific hostname

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

angeldev

New Around Here
Hi all,

I bought a VPN service for privacy reasons and I would like to use it for specific hostnames.
I saw that in the VPN settings you have the possibility to force the internet connection traffic based on IP Address (You can use both source and destination address), is there a way to specify the list of hostnames to include or exclude for the VPN tunneling?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for.
In my case the RT-AC68U acts as a VPN client (is connected to a server) and I want to redirect the traffic of my LAN hosts through the VPN tunnel using specific policies that include or exclude some hostnames.

Let me give you an example:
  • Suppose that you have two clients in the LAN host1 and host2
  • I would apply a policy that enforce all the LAN traffic (h1 and h2) through the VPN tunnel for *.netflix.com
  • Another possibility is to enforce all the LAN traffic through the VPN tunnel except for some hostname like *.netflix.com, *.example.com, etc.
I hope that I've clarified a little bit my request.
Thanks again for the support.

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for.
In my case the RT-AC68U acts as a VPN client (is connected to a server) and I want to redirect the traffic of my LAN hosts through the VPN tunnel using specific policies that include or exclude some hostnames.

Let me give you an example:
  • Suppose that you have two clients in the LAN host1 and host2
  • I would apply a policy that enforce all the LAN traffic (h1 and h2) through the VPN tunnel for *.netflix.com
  • Another possibility is to enforce all the LAN traffic through the VPN tunnel except for some hostname like *.netflix.com, *.example.com, etc.
I hope that I've clarified a little bit my request.
Thanks again for the support.
see x3mRouting ~ Selective Routing for Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware

Ok, thanks. I got it.

In the client GUI, turn on strict policy rule as per below. Additional rule windows will open up for you;

upload_2020-5-18_8-13-29.png

Also have a browse through this website. You can put a whole host of OpenVPN directives in the custom config field (don't need the --) that allows to customize the VPN client to your needs.

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/how-to/

I don't use OpenVPN, but I have seen many posts on this site with many examples. Just need to do a little searching.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-18_8-17-2.png
    upload_2020-5-18_8-17-2.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 162
Ok, thanks. I got it.

In the client GUI, turn on strict policy rule as per below. Additional rule windows will open up for you;

View attachment 23557

Also have a browse through this website. You can put a whole host of OpenVPN directives in the custom config field (don't need the --) that allows to customize the VPN client to your needs.

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/how-to/

I don't use OpenVPN, but I have seen many posts on this site with many examples. Just need to do a little searching.
This doesn't work as the OP specified

VPN tunnel for *.netflix.com
and the Selective Routing GUI only works for static target destination IP addresses not domain names.

This doesn't work as the OP specified

VPN tunnel for *.netflix.com
and the Selective Routing GUI only works for static target destination IP addresses not domain names.

Good to know, thanks @Martineau

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!