What's new

RT-AC68U V3 Merlin Supported?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenFactors

Regular Contributor
I'm looking to buy ASUS RT-AC68U
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/?tag=snbforums-20

Which is quite an old router (2013) but just perfect for the purpose that will be bestowed upon it and at a good price.

Going over Merlin's README, I see that RT-AC68U are still fully supported. Nevertheless, I'm a bit lost by the different models and HW revisions in regards to ~V3:
"RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC68UF (including HW revision C1 and E1)"

Going over the listing page over at amazon I can't find any info regarding HW revision on the listed RT-AC68U router other than: Model Number: RT-AC68U V3 and ASIN: B00FB45SI4

Q:
Can any body confirm if the RT-AC68U V3 is compatible with ASUSWRT-Merlin?
Q: Does anybody know what changed in RT-AC68U V3?

Thank you.

I have an RT68U E1 and i use Merlin's
One thing about link you posted:
SeriesDSL-AC68U
I just hope owner is not mixing up two models.

SeriesDSL-AC68U

Sorry @pirx73 - I can't spot the link you refer to in this thread ???
There is a DSL-AC68U listed in my signature [without a link] - but that has no relevance to the OP's question - and the only links I have provided are relevant to his question.
The only link the OP gave in post #1 to this thread - does indeed relate to an RT-AC68U on Amazon [or sometimes listed as RT-AC1900].

Going over the listing page over at amazon I can't find any info regarding HW revision on the listed RT-AC68U router other than: Model Number: RT-AC68U V3 and ASIN: B00FB45SI4
As is often the case with Amazon, the Technical Details panel contains nonsense information. I don't believe there is such a thing as a "V3" version, or any other "V" version for that matter. FWIW the ASIN number matches that of the router I bought from Amazon, which is the original model with hardware revision A1. EDIT: See post #13.

SeriesDSL-AC68U
If you go to the original Amazon US link that entry is not there. However, if you are in the UK you are redirected to Amazon UK and in the Technical Details it says the Series is DSL-AC68U. Like I said above, that panel is full of nonsence.

Last edited:

Thank you @L&LD & @kernol . What I've come to understand is that the V3 has no standing in the matter. It is a RT-AC68U regardless of having a V3.

I used to have a RT-N66U HW Ver: B1 that back in the day was fully supported by Merlin. I never had an issue with it. To the best of my knowledge there never was any mention of HW revision or anything other than noticing that the U/R/W variants were the same and that this was just marketing related. Researching the RT-AC68U overwhelmed because of its long discussed evolution into the RT-AC1900, HW revisions and the lack of clear information of what exactly changed in V3.

As is often the case with Amazon, the Technical Details panel contains nonsense information. I don't believe there is such a thing as a "V3" version, or any other "V" version for that matter. FWIW the ASIN number matches that of the router I bought from Amazon, which is the original model with hardware revision A1.

If you go to the original Amazon US link that entry is not there. However, if you are in the UK you are redirected to Amazon UK and in the Technical Details it says the Series is DSL-AC68U. Like I said above, that panel is full of nonsence.

This is good news. Thank you for you reply.

I don't know the importance of the V3 labeling but there is indeed an ASUS user manual for it. This is right under the official ASUS listing for RT-AC68U/Support/Manual. It is the top manual listed. I must note that the difference in the manual listing RT-AC68U V3 and older manuals for the RT-AC68U router is but the date. They all are virtually the same pdf manual.

Manuals

RT-AC68U V3 Manual

With that said, you are right, the technical details provided on Amazon listings are always very poor. For all I know, the V3 is in regards to the manual itself rather than anything dealing with hardware.

SeriesDSL-AC68U

Thank you for the information.

In regards to the link I posted. As already stated, there must be some amazon redirecting based on geolocation. When I follow the link I posted it indeed takes me the expected RT-AC68U amazon listing.

This is good news. Thank you for you reply.

I don't know the importance of the V3 labeling but there is indeed an ASUS user manual for it. This is right under the official ASUS listing for RT-AC68U/Support/Manual. It is the top manual listed. I must note that the difference in the manual listing RT-AC68U V3 and older manuals for the RT-AC68U router is but the date. They all are virtually the same pdf manual.

Manuals

RT-AC68U V3 Manual

With that said, you are right, the technical details provided on Amazon listings are always very poor. For all I know, the V3 is in regards to the manual itself rather than anything dealing with hardware.
It looks like Asus are up to their old tricks and creating more random names for the same products (how many re-branded RT-AC68U's do they have now :rolleyes:). I guess they eventually had to update their hopelessly out of date manuals and thought they'd slap a "V3" on it while they were there. EDIT: See post #13.

Last edited:
I got the router. It works great. Merlin installed flawlessly and thus far everything works great.

In regards to the whole V3. On the back of the router it states:
RT-AC68U
MSQ-RT-AC68U V2

Amazon listing couldn't even get that right. lol but that is to be expected.

----
A couple of things to Note

I got the router brand spanking new and thus far it works great.

1) During the router first setup, the stock firmware allowed me to enter a router password longer than 16 characters with no notice of the limit. After rebooting the router I found the hard way that ASUS still only support a 16 character max password. I had to reset and resetup the router. A fun start. Oh well.

2) The ASUS logo on the back does not light up. I saw a video review of the router in which the back logo under the LED On/Off button did light up. Not a big deal but would have been a nice detail to have. The front LEDs all work. The LED button does turn them on and off.

Sorry @pirx73 - I can't spot the link you refer to in this thread ???
OPs first post in the thread contains the link. For me it opens amazon.co.uk with reference i mentioned.
Why it opens amazon.co.uk instead of .com - i have no idea, i don't live in the UK and i my IP does not come from UK either. Geolocation quirks i guess
EDIT: i think i know why - i have set amazon.co.uk as my default site in phone app, but why does it affects PC and especially direct links. Good to know for the future.
The ASUS logo on the back does not light up
My router also does not have iluminated logo.
Regarding hardware version - my router sticker states: Hw rev: E1

Last edited:
In regards to the whole V3. On the back of the router it states:
RT-AC68U
MSQ-RT-AC68U V2

Amazon listing couldn't even get that right. lol but that is to be expected.
Just to follow up on this; It appears there is a brand new version of the RT-AC68U with an added "V3" suffix. Visually it looks the same as the previous versions but it has an FCC ID of MSQ-RTACIB00 which is printed on the label. There doesn't appear to be a separate entry for it on Asus' website site so I assume it's functionally the same as the previous models. (Obviously this isn't the same version the Amazon shipped to @SevenFactors)

Also see this post.

I bought a new AC68U 3 weeks ago to extend my nodes at home.
However, I am unable to update the AC68U, it seems like this is different version than my other one due to the charger being different and the input is also different.
Both of them had the same ASUS Stock FW (the other AC68U is also "new" but an older revision).

I tried updating Merlin on both of them, the brand new one fails and the other one (older one) flashed without any issue.
No clue why but the new AC68U seems to be different, it just doesn't accept any Merlin build (including the latest BETA).

@RMerlin any idea why I am unable to update the newer AC68U with 386.1 beta, the AC68U currently has 3.0.0.4.386_40558-gc48f410 stock installed.
I don't want to force Rescue to flash it with your firmware due to the fact I am not sure if it is actually supported or not.
If you need any additional information from the new router, let me know.

Added picture of V3:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-06 at 19.09.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-06 at 19.09.10.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
@RMerlin any idea why I am unable to update the newer AC68U with 386.1 beta, the AC68U currently has 3.0.0.4.386_40558-gc48f410 stock installed.

I don't know what's different with that model, so no idea.

I bought a new AC68U 3 weeks ago to extend my nodes at home.
However, I am unable to update the AC68U, it seems like this is different version than my other one due to the charger being different and the input is also different.
Both of them had the same ASUS Stock FW (the other AC68U is also "new" but an older revision).

I tried updating Merlin on both of them, the brand new one fails and the other one (older one) flashed without any issue.
No clue why but the new AC68U seems to be different, it just doesn't accept any Merlin build (including the latest BETA).

I don't want to force Rescue to flash it with your firmware due to the fact I am not sure if it is actually supported or not.
If you need any additional information from the new router, let me know.

Added picture of V3:

Also I have this new H/W version V3 (but no older RT-AC68U to compare with) and I keep getting the "Invalid Firmware Upload" message when trying to install. I assume Merlin may not be designed for this H/W version? Is it planned for the future?

I have tried the stable 384.19 and the Beta 386.1 releases.

Merlin seems very tasty and I would love to try it.

I'm waiting on more info from Asus, in the mean time can you try this test build?

I suspect I just need to update the header signature to mark the firmware as compatible with this newer revision, so I just built it with a signature matching the GPL code used in it. Make sure you download a copy of the original firmware from Asus before testing this one out, just in case.

EDIT: That should do the trick, I disassembled the code responsible for the image check, and the RT-AC68U V3 has a minimal version requirement of 385_20490. My firmware was only faking a 385_20000 version.

Last edited:
EDIT: That should do the trick, I disassembled the code responsible for the image check, and the RT-AC68U V3 has a minimal version requirement of 385_20490. My firmware was only faking a 385_20000 version.
Can this be used to (eventually) get RT-AC68U_384.17/18/19_0 on a V3 ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!