RT-AC68U - very slow 2.4G wireless (Merlin)

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

OzTrip

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

The router is RT-AC86U (not able to change thread title)

Here are my settings:

5G - Channel 20/40/80, Control Channel Auto - Max Speed 92 Mbps
2.4G - Channel 40, Control Channel Auto - Max Speed 3 Mbps

I disabled USB 3.0 & WPS as I read somewhere this can cause some issues everything else I left Merlin stock.

Tested on the same device in the same place. The issue is with any device connected to 2.4G.
I don't use "Smart Connect" as I discovered this issue while using smart connect.

Any ideas what can cause this issue?

Last edited:

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
What firmware are you using? What are your ISP speeds? What scripts are you running? Are you using QoS? Are you using a VPN? Are you using new SSID's, at least as a test (use the Guest network to test new SSID's)?

What device are you using to test? What is the test method? Have you used a different browser to test with? What anti-virus program are you running? Have you updated the drivers to the latest available? Have you changed any of the default driver settings? Have you 'forgotten' the network settings, rebooted the device, and then re-associated to the router again and then test?

How far away is the router to your test device?

Have you tried a fixed control channel (for both bands)?

When was the last time you did a full M&M Config (please see link in my signature below for details)?

OzTrip

Occasional Visitor
What firmware are you using? What are your ISP speeds? What scripts are you running? Are you using QoS? Are you using a VPN? Are you using new SSID's, at least as a test (use the Guest network to test new SSID's)?

What device are you using to test? What is the test method? Have you used a different browser to test with? What anti-virus program are you running? Have you updated the drivers to the latest available? Have you changed any of the default driver settings? Have you 'forgotten' the network settings, rebooted the device, and then re-associated to the router again and then test?

How far away is the router to your test device?

Have you tried a fixed control channel (for both bands)?

When was the last time you did a full M&M Config (please see link in my signature below for details)?

What firmware are you using? - Merlin 384.16 (latest)
What are your ISP speeds? - 90 Mbps
What scripts are you running? - none
Are you using QoS? yes/no tried both
Are you using a VPN? - yes but only for a dedicated device (other)
Are you using new SSID's - Yes I tried guest 2.4G with the same issue
What device are you using to test? - iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro
What is the test method? - Speedtest app or web
Have you used a different browser to test with? - Yes all 5 browsers
What anti-virus program are you running? - phone test, none
Have you updated the drivers to the latest available? - Yes all the latest
Have you changed any of the default driver settings? - no
Have you 'forgotten' the network settings, rebooted the device, and then re-associated to the router again and then test? - no, I'm going to try this now

OzTrip

Occasional Visitor
Have you 'forgotten' the network settings, rebooted the device, and then re-associated to the router again and then test? - yes, no improvements

More tests (2-bed apartment):

1m away from the router

5G - iPhone, Speedtest 92 Mbps
2.4G - iPhone, Speedtest 30 Mbps

Around 10m away from the router and 2 walls

5G - iPhone, Speedtest 84 Mbps
2.4G - iPhone, Speedtest 1-2 Mbps

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Did it ever work? Is this the replacement 86U?

OE

OzTrip

Occasional Visitor
Did it ever work? Is this the replacement 86U?

OE

Yes, I replaced RT-AC68U with RT-AC86U. Here is my floor plan with all speeds measured on the latest iPad Pro (Speedtest.net). Strangely enough, 5G performs here better in the longer distance than the 2G?

Last edited: