What's new

RT-AC68U vs N66U for Merlin support/features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davebruno

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

New here, read a few threads that suggest the N66U has more support but they were old and hoping this is no longer the case, I want to have a solid connection through VPN and its mainly for gaming while allowing other users to stream without affecting my ping too greatly.

Its competitive gaming and I want any edge so just wondering which of the two would be best and if the RT-AC68U is supported to the same extent as the N66U. Also interested in the support from other firmwares if anyone knows as I may try other stuff, just concerned about throughput with OpenVPN and N66U.

Also will turning off 5Ghz/AC offer speed performance/lower CPU load? I use CAT6 into console so don't need bells and whistles on the wifi and if turning them off helps I will do that..

Thanks

Dave

New here, read a few threads that suggest the N66U has more support but they were old and hoping this is no longer the case, I want to have a solid connection through VPN and its mainly for gaming while allowing other users to stream without affecting my ping too greatly.

If anything, the RT-AC68U actually gets better support than the RT-N66U, since it has a more modern CPU and kernel. The only case where that's not true is with other third party firmware, not mine.

Also will turning off 5Ghz/AC offer speed performance/lower CPU load?

No.

Thanks for the info, went and picked up the AC68U but it turns out to be the A2 model not sure if its worth returning or can I overclock to the same level easily without loosing features like QoS?

I'm pretty sure overclocking has been locked down.

Instead, look at getting an RT-AC1900P from BestBuy (RMerlin supported, much faster processor, newer RF design).