What's new

RT-AC68U vs RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Olli

New Around Here
I have an option to upgrade from a RT-AC68U to RT-AC87U with a fairly low price. I currently achieve speeds of 933/524 over LAN and 533/583 over Wi-Fi. Would I achieve any improvement if I upgraded?

I've been looking at both along with the AC86 and the AC87 seems to be a bit of an out of date lame duck and isn't very popular. One thing I've learnt in recent days is don't take the numerical numbering of the models as a direct indicator that one is better than the other, for AC8x it seems the best for most would be the AC86, followed by the AC88 then the AC87

I have an option to upgrade from a RT-AC68U to RT-AC87U with a fairly low price. I currently achieve speeds of 933/524 over LAN and 533/583 over Wi-Fi. Would I achieve any improvement if I upgraded?

No. The RT-AC87U's only improvement is having support for four stream versus three - your clients are only able to use two based on the rates you posted, so it would make zero difference. Plus, the RT-AC87U uses an oddball for its 5 GHz band, which tends to have more compatibility issues than the tried and proven BCM4360 used by the RT-AC68U.

Stick with your RT-AC68U.

Thanks for the advice. My devices are MacBook Pro mid-2017 w/Touch Bar and an iPhone X. Do they really support three streams only? The 5 GHz is important for me so I'm thinking not to upgrade as you recommended. However I'd like to improve the speeds of the RT-AC68U if possible?

Thanks for the advice. My devices are MacBook Pro mid-2017 w/Touch Bar and an iPhone X. Do they really support three streams only? The 5 GHz is important for me so I'm thinking not to upgrade as you recommended. However I'd like to improve the speeds of the RT-AC68U if possible?

Almost nothing out there supports four streams, except a handful of PCI-Express adapters.

You won't be able to improve performance over your RT-AC68U without either moving the router location or replacing the NICs in your devices. Something probably not possible with Apple's MacBooks.