What's new

RT-AC68U - What type of antenna connector is this on the circuit board?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DroidST

Regular Contributor
Well, hit my head on a antique phone (again) hanging on the wall above the RT-AC68U (which fell from the wall) and hit a corner of the 68U causing that corner's antenna connector to be lose. I took the 68U apart and see the issue.

20230102_164908_sm.jpg

I'm curious if I can replace the part that came off. It is missing its center pin.

Anyone know what that connector is called?

Also, the part that is soldered onto the circuit board.
The part that is soldered on the circuit board has a center pin, not sure if that center pin is supposed to be in that connector or with the part that came off. Should I try to remove that center pin?

Thank you in advance.

I don't know the part number, but if you see soldered legs on the other side of the PCB it's called SMA female angle (RA) PCB mount connector. If no pins on the other side it's SMA female angle (RA) Surface mount connector. Sometimes you can find it as Edge Mount or Right Angle (RA) connector. Similar part on Amazon is this:

1672711981041.png

Your options:
1) DIY repair, but this one is tough to remove - needs equipment, materials and experience
2) Electronics repair shop - they can do it in minutes if they have the connector available

Yes, it's soldered to the board, 5 points. Here's the image.

20230102_191146_sm.jpg

So, that connector is one piece. I thought the end that is soldered was a female connector and the other piece snaps in.. well, I was hoping.

I have no clue where the rest of the inside of the connector (the end that is outside the 68U now in the image in post #1) went, just a clean tunnel through that piece.

It was built to pass a 10' drop test, typical from the 1918 models. No case needed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!