What's new

RT-AC68u with Merlin firmware bricked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AbOrigine

Occasional Visitor
First of I would like to thank Merlin for a great firmware! I am running them on couple of my routers and they are truly fantastic!

So, now the problem. I was running 384.5_beta1 and wanted to update to current stable release - 384.5.
As usual, I did nvram reset via ssh, logged into router and started an upgrade via GUI.
The progress bar showed 100% and the router rebooted (?). When I logged into the router, the firmware was still 384.5_beta1.
I thought the process did not finish or went smoothly, so did update again, but still the same results.

Then I disconnected all cables from the router (except for the pc where I am uploading firmware from) and did nvram reset via WPS button (holding WPS button and powering on router; power button flashes, then I wait 30+ seconds) and then logged in to recovery mode (holding reset button, connecting power and waiting until power button flashes slowly).
Whenever I try to upload Merlin firmware, it stops at 97% (tried different versions, all the same). I tried ASUS firmware as well via recovery and it stop at around 60%+-.
Tried above number of times, but still no luck.

The router seems to work fine though, but it is still on 384.5_beta1 and does not seem to be willing to accept any other firmware.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Make sure you have a real RT-AC68U and not a modded T-Mobile. The TM-AC1900 is not supported, and Asus recently made changes preventing it from being cross flashed.

Thanks for your response Merlin!
It is indeed TM-AC1900 which I reflashed more than a year ago to your firmware and being updating them fine.
I thought it was completely converted to a fully functioning RT-AC68U.
It does not even flash stock Asus firmware.
And is there any cure to this, or will it be just stuck to the current firmware?
Any ideas what can be done to it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, was going to try that as a last resort, worked like a charm!
Any information if we would have to do further updates via ssh - "mtd-write2" command?
I suspect that trick won't work in future releases as Asus (and Merlin) realize the hole in the scheme to prevent further upgrades/downgrades. With stock ASUS firmware, it doesn't just fail to update. It downloads and installs TM firmware 376.3199 (with a locked CFE and no ssh capability). I'm guessing that RMerlin didn't implement that "feature" and just aborts the update. That is a much kinder implementation which I wish Asus would adopt.

I hope Merlin can implement AImesh feature soon. Definitely sticking with Merlin firmware!
Thanks all for help.

I suspect that trick won't work in future releases as Asus (and Merlin) realize the hole in the scheme to prevent further upgrades/downgrades. With stock ASUS firmware, it doesn't just fail to update. It downloads and installs TM firmware 376.3199 (with a locked CFE and no ssh capability). I'm guessing that RMerlin didn't implement that "feature" and just aborts the update. That is a much kinder implementation which I wish Asus would adopt.
the web upgrade just calls mtd-write2 so it's hard to lock this utility but even if they will you can always copy it in jffs or /tmp (ram) and run it from there every time you upgrade.
As a workaround to hte locked CFE and no ssh you can open the case and connect via serial console :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!