What's new

RT-AC68W aimesh problem, and ... got bricked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lan

New Around Here
I had so much trouble adding aimesh node. I have 4 routers. RT-AC3100, TM-AC1900 (Convert to RT-AC68U), RT-AC68P, RC-AC68W. I was able to config AC3100 as main, and AC68U and AC68P as nodes.
AC68U connected right away, AC68P took me a couple for resets and different firmwares, but I got both of them working eventually.

When I tried to connect RT-AC68W, thats when the headache starts.
First, after I finishing config RT-AC68W using LAN cable, and connect back to AC3100. This winodw pop out and disappear in 3 second.
20180807_224020.jpg

I tried all the firmware on asus website, and reset (using button and through software) + clear nvram (using WPS) + 30 + 30 + 30 more than dozen times. I even reset my AC3100 to default, and also tried Asus Android app.

I came across an article online saying RT-AC68U is pretty much same as RT-AC68W, I can tried flash CFE to RT-AC68U and use AC68U firmware.

So export the "original_cfe.bin" file, and upload the this site (cfeditor.pipeline.sh) and choose 1.0.2.0 US Aimesh.
20180807_231756.jpg

20180807_231756.jpg

Then upload new_cfe.bin & mtd-write & FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx .
I used AC68U firmware because I had flashed AC68U firmware on AC68W router before.

Then I did a NVRAM Reset.

However, after that only USB 2.0 light comes up (without attached to any device). If I plug in a LAN cable, the LAN port will light up. I read elsewhere this means the router is bricked.
20180808_081710.jpg

I read on this post, the guy was able to bring the router back alive using the serial cable. I just bought the cable.
Just wonder what is the odds for this to work? Or would it even work at all?
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...d-while-flashing-from-tomato-to-merlin.29077/

I had so much trouble adding aimesh node. I have 4 routers. RT-AC3100, TM-AC1900 (Convert to RT-AC68U), RT-AC68P, RC-AC68W. I was able to config AC3100 as main, and AC68U and AC68P as nodes.
AC68U connected right away, AC68P took me a couple for resets and different firmwares, but I got both of them working eventually.

First, after I finishing config RT-AC68W using LAN cable, and connect back to AC3100. This winodw pop out and disappear in 3 second.
20180807_224020.jpg

I tried all the firmware on asus website, and reset (using button and through software) + clear nvram (using WPS) + 30 + 30 + 30 more than dozen times. I even reset my AC3100 to default, and also tried Asus Android app.

I came across an article online saying RT-AC68U is pretty much same as RT-AC68W, I can tried flash CFE to RT-AC68U and use AC68U firmware.

So export the "original_cfe.bin" file, and upload the this site (cfeditor.pipeline.sh) and choose 1.0.2.0 US Aimesh.
20180807_231756.jpg

20180807_231756.jpg

I used AC68U firmware because I had flashed AC68U firmware on AC68W router before.

However, after that only USB 2.0 light comes up (without attached to any device). If I plug in a LAN cable, the LAN port will light up. I read elsewhere this means the router is bricked.
20180808_081710.jpg

I read on this post, the guy was able to bring the router back alive using the serial cable. I just bought the cable.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...d-while-flashing-from-tomato-to-merlin.29077/
Won't work because somehow your CFE is corrupted. Serial TTL interface only works if it actually boots the bootloader. That is indicated when the power light stays on.
Just for your info, however, the trx files for all the supported AC68 u/r/p/w are the same. Only the file name is different, and that doesn't matter. IDK what the differences are in the CFE, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't your original problem. So I think your White one is a boat anchor. Just like one of my TM-AC1900s.

Last edited:
I have done this process at least 5 times on my tm-ac1900, I couldn't figure out what exactly step I did wrong. Should I not modify my cfe file through the website? Or there was something wrong with the router oroginally.

20180807_224020.jpg

20180807_231756.jpg

20180807_231756.jpg

20180808_081710.jpg

I'm sorry. You just wasted some bucks for the cable. The link is for a different situation.
If you see USB 2.0 light only it means your router is bricked. There is no way to revive your router. The cable job doesn't work for your bricked router at all.

I have done this process at least 5 times on my tm-ac1900, I couldn't figure out what exactly step I did wrong. Should I not modify my cfe file through the website? Or there was something wrong with the router originally.
You didn't need to change the CFE on your 68W in order to run any of the ASUS 68 series firmware. I see from your pic that your original CFE (1.1.1.2) was for hardware revision 1.9. So maybe there is something in the 1.0.2.0 CFE (h/w rev 1.70) that is incompatible with 1.9 hardware. It's a moot point now. (BTW, I've got a TM-AC1900 bricked with the same symptoms - caused by flashing a bad CFE)

It is possible that some hardware defect caused your original problem setting it up as a node. However many other people have also been frustrated by difficulties adding a node regardless of hardware type. Most likely some flakiness in the immature AiMesh firmware.

Last edited:
Your didn't need to change the CFE on your 68W in order to run any of the ASUS 68 series firmware. I see from your pic that your original CFE (1.1.1.2) was for hardware revision 1.9. So maybe there is something in the 1.0.2.0 CFE (h/w rev 1.70) that is incompatible with 1.9 hardware. It's a moot point now. (BTW, I've got a TM-AC1900 bricked with the same symptoms - caused by flashing a bad CFE)

It is possible that some hardware defect caused your original problem setting it up as a node. But many other people have been frustrated by difficulties adding a node. Most likely some flakiness in the immature AiMesh firmware.

The reason I decided to change CFE was becuase I had flashed RT-AC68U firmware on RT-AC68W, but it still shows RT-AC68W (white router image) when I log in 192.168.1.1.

I bought this router second hand from offerup. When I contacted Asus and and checked the serial number, it is under in warranty. So I sent it into, and 3 days pass by, they told me they couldn't repair it, so they are gonna replace it.

Last edited:
The reason I decided to change CFE was becuase I had flashed RT-AC68U firmware on RT-AC68W, but it still shows RT-AC68W (white router image) when I log in 192.168.1.1.

I bought this router second hand from offerup. When I contacted Asus and and checked the serial number, it is under in warranty. So I sent it into, and 3 days pass by, they told me they couldn't repair it, so they are gonna replace it.
Great that you are getting service from ASUS. But the "RT-AC68W" that shows up in the gui banner (and elsewhere) comes from the CFE (the original one). Where you went wrong is expecting it to change because you flashed a 68U trx file. The trx files for a 68U and a 68W are identical (same version of course). Only the filename is different. However the CFE files are different in more ways than just the model name.

Last edited:
Great that you are getting service from ASUS. But the "RT-AC68W" that shows up in the gui banner (and elsewhere) comes from the CFE (the original one). Where you went wrong is expecting it to change because you flashed a 68U trx file. The trx files for a 68U and a 68W are identical (same version of course). Only the filename is different. However the CFE files are different in more ways than just the model name.
I understand by flashing the trx file, it wouldn't change the RT-AC68W because the system is pulling information from CFE which is why I initially decided to flash CFE.

Update:
2 weeks after I sent in the RMA, I tried to look on the status page, it couldn't find it. I called and chatted with Asus. They finally told me they don't have RT-AC68W on hand, and will replace it with RT-AC68U. Then waited another week, they finally shipped the unit to me. It will arrive tomorrow. I am pretty confident the RT-AC68U is gonna work right away since it is more popular model.

I am pretty confident the RT-AC68U is gonna work right away since it is more popular model.
There is NO difference between these routers beside the color (and showing different names)!
Here in EU even white can be named RT-AC68U like mine, they use more than one name for same model which all got same or nearly same hardware and identical firmware, others maybe named RT-AC1900, still the same.

status update:
Got my RT-AC68U today. Flashed to the latest version, and everything seems to be fine for now. I will try joining it to the mesh tonight.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!