What's new

[RT-AC68W] Slow wifi using VPN client, but not using wired

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nobody

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC68W with the 384.4 firmware, and a VPN client enabled and setup to PIA. My Internet connection speeds are 60Mb (down)/5Mb (up) .

Using a wired connection (laptop) without going thru the VPN I get 63/5, and using the VPN I get 60/5 (no problem here). When I go wireless (laptop) without the VPN I get 60/5 (no problem) and using the VPN I get 25/5 (problem here). I've tried this on a second laptop and a tablet (only wifi with this of course), and the results are always the same. If using wifi and going thru the VPN my speeds are easily half the speed of a wired connection. This seems to be a problem, right?

More details: I'm using only 5GHz, 6 feet away from router, no other devices on network, and always reproducible. My DHCP gives out 16 IPs and this range is mapped to the VPN in its configuration (redirect Internet traffic). So all clients (laptops and tablets) get a dynamic IP and all those addresses go thru the VPN. This is how I test the speeds using the VPN. I then assign a static IP outside the range of the DHCP range to a client to test the speeds not using the VPN. I can verify my IP has changed and not using the VPN by checking by external IP address.

Thanks for any insight and help.

Hi,its very old post but i have same problem AC68U connected to openvpn with Purevpn account i get 45/10 of my speed 50/10 on Lan but on wifi i get 25-30/10 ..Disable openvpn i get 51/10 speedteston wifi.I try disable the wifi on AC68U and connect my RT N66U to him and same speeds.Last thing i try i put Linksys WRT1900ACS v2 ddwrt 31.12.2018 build and same speeds.I overclock AC68U cpu 1200/666 and the same.I was trying to use my WRT1900ACS v2 as a main router but Purevpn have problems and cant fix it working with ddwrt open vpn only PPTP is working with them.Please if someone know fix to share it please.Latest Merlin.Thank you.

Last edited:
Are you running the VPN client on your AC68 on the second core? With Merlin the odd numbered VPN clients run on the core not being used by the router OS.

Also are you sure the wired LAN connection is be tunneled using the VPN? The 45/10 speed seems to indicate not as on my AC1900P which is an AC68 with a faster processor my download speed is in the 25/30 range, which is what you are reporting on WiFi.

Hi, yes i run openvpn on number 3 client and i check myip.com before run the test and also i see different IP my ip is changed on speedtest.net i can make a screenshots if you want. I use policy rules to tunnel some of the devices.Connection is UDP port 53, server Sweden-Stockholm.
Also can you try disable wifi on your Ac68 connect secondary router with lan cable and try the speeds on wifi.Better performance with secondary router.
20190104_003540.jpg
20190104_003203.jpg
20190104_003115.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!