What's new

RT-AC86/88 - URL Filter and Multiple separate networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kewlers

New Around Here
Hello All,

I am new to this website/forum, and this is my first post.

My knowledge of networking is pretty basic. I found this forum in the process of researching for a new WiFi Router and I've learned a lot in the process, thank you to all the contributors on this website!!

I have narrowed down on the RT-AC86U as it seems to have good WiFi, many security features, traffic monitoring, VPN, etc. and is still supported by Merlin.

I would appreciate if someone could kindly review and provide some advise on my requirements, understanding of how to implement them and a few questions below:

Two main requirements
  1. Operate 3 separate networks
    1. Family network - for mobile phones as well as laptops using Wired and WiFi connectivity. Devices in this network can access the internet as well as devices in the 'IoT/Smart Devices' network
    2. Guest network - Using WiFi only. Devices in this network can only access the internet
    3. IoT/Smart Devices - Using WiFi (e.g. Smartbulbs) and Wired (e.g. TV, Hive). Devices in this network can only access the internet
  2. URL Filtering
    1. Per Device AND during specified hours only - Ability to deny access from specific devices to specific websites and only during specified hours, example deny YouTube access to child's laptop between 7pm and 9pm (study time) and between 10:30pm and 7am (bedtime).
    2. Deny access to all Adult content on child's laptop and mobile phone at all times

My understanding and Questions
  • Requirement 1 could be met by stock ASUSWRT, by creating 3 WiFi networks, and disallowing 'Intranet Access' on Guest and Smart Devices networks whilst allowing it on Family network
    • Does this setup create 3 VLANs and associate the 3 WiFi SSIDs with them to keep the traffic separate?
  • I believe Requirement 1 could also be implemented using YazFi with Merlin. It seems to provide more options, and possibly more flexibility?
  • For requirement 2.1, I found URL filters that apply to all devices across all networks, but I could not find anything that would apply per device and during specific hours only
  • For requirement 2.2, I believe I could use the Asus AiProtection feature to block Adult category of websites per device?
Thank you in advance for helping. :)

For 2.2, you could use the DNS Filter and point specific devices to a specific DNS server, such as ones that block adult and malicious content.

For 2.2, you could use the DNS Filter and point specific devices to a specific DNS server, such as ones that block adult and malicious content.
Thank you @MarkyPancake.

DNS Filter does look interesting! I wonder whether this will cause any issues when watching sports online over VPN?

URL Filtering
  1. Per Device AND during specified hours only - Ability to deny access from specific devices to specific websites and only during specified hours, example deny YouTube access to child's laptop between 7pm and 9pm (study time) and between 10:30pm and 7am (bedtime).
Does anyone know how to achieve this pleeease? This feature is key for my decision.

The other alternative I am investigating is the TP-Link ER605 which seems to have this feature in the standalone mode but not clear whether it can do this using the Omada Controller.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!