What's new

(RT-AC86U) 2.5Ghz clients dropping from wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeith

New Around Here
I've noticed that in the last week or so the router is dropping clients from the 2.5 Ghz network (but not the 5Ghz or LAN). When that happens the client can't reconnect to the router unless they restart the device or unplug and reinsert their dongle.
I'm not sure how to diagnose this.

It's currently using Asus-WRT merlin 386.11 firmware.

I've noticed that in the last week or so the router is dropping clients from the 2.5 Ghz network (but not the 5Ghz or LAN). When that happens the client can't reconnect to the router unless they restart the device or unplug and reinsert their dongle.
I'm not sure how to diagnose this.

It's currently using Asus-WRT merlin 386.11 firmware.

That is one of the symptoms of a dying 86u.

It could be interference though, are you on auto channel, maybe try a different channel? Another thing to always try is hard factory reset followed my manual (and minimal) reconfigure by hand, not from backup.

Yeah, I sort of tried it already. I thought it was a dying router, just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Have you set 2.4 ghz to 20mhz channel bandwith manually?

That is one of the symptoms of a dying 86u.

I would also consider the AC adapter - with Asus, they fail soft, and start to brown out under load...

The router itself might be just fine, and an AC adapter replacement isn't that much of an investment...

I would also consider the AC adapter - with Asus, they fail soft, and start to brown out under load...

The router itself might be just fine, and an AC adapter replacement isn't that much of an investment...

You'd think it would be impacting more than just the 2.4ghz band but stranger things have happened. If OP has a similar spec'd wall wart hanging around, worth a try. I think most of these routers all run off a 12V 1A or 2A supply and use the same plug, but not sure about the 86u.

I contacted them, they're checking if they'll just replace it. It's still under warranty.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!