What's new

RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VANT

Very Senior Member
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead
- Release Note -

Bug fixed and Improvements:
- Improved system stability.
- Improved AiMesh performance.
- Fixed specific models cannot show AiMesh problem.
- Fixed XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Yonghui Han of Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs.
- Fixed CVE-2018-8877, CVE-2018-8878, CVE-2018-8879
- Fixed plain text password vulnerability in lighttpd.
- Modified Quick Internet Setup wizard process.
- Main SSID and guest network can hide independently.
- Fixed OpenVPN client authentication issues.
- Fixed DDNS register bugs.
- Administrator can asisgn specific WAN interface to register DDNS in dual wan load balance mode.
- Fixed OpenVPN client DNS related issues.

For now avaible from router GUI
222222222222.png

Same here, upgraded 2 x RT-AC86U AiMesh Nodes. I did factory reset for all AiMesh Router and Nodes ... it has been running for 15 hours, no issue so far :)

PS: Just out of curiosity, I used ASUS Router iOS App to do the firmware update, I normally does it on my MacBookPro
  • It detected that there is new firmware
  • I tap "Upgrade" and the upgrading process started
  • I got a firmware upgrade failure message (Sorry, forgot to take a screenshot).
  • After sometime I login to Router using Safari on my MacBook Pro and found that the upgrade process was actually successful.

The RT-AC86U will automatically upgrade when it detects a new firmware at ASUS. The upgrade can take place without rebooting the device.

The RT-AC86U will automatically upgrade when it detects a new firmware at ASUS. The upgrade can take place without rebooting the device.

Automatically? We have no say in it?

OE

Would like to have details of an automatic firmware upgrade, except if using the mobile app where it will schedule an update at the next hour mark.

The AC86U had not yet prompted an update is available, the last check was a couple of hours before 384_20942 was published. Going to wait out and see if,
1. The router will indicate with no manual check that an update is available, and
2. The router updates iself automatically.

Would like to have details of an automatic firmware upgrade, except if using the mobile app where it will schedule an update at the next hour mark.

The AC86U had not yet prompted an update is available, the last check was a couple of hours before 384_20942 was published. Going to wait out and see if,
1. The router will indicate with no manual check that an update is available, and
2. The router updates iself automatically.

The RT-AC86U will automatically update to the latest firmware if the firmware presently on the device is from ASUS. I think Merlin said there is a command line entry that can disable this. It will not automatically update if a Merlin firmware is installed.

Running stock ASUS firmware on the AC-86U. The router has yet to update itself from 384_20648 to 384_20942. Running sort of experiment to confirm if or when it will update itself, if ever ;)

Running stock ASUS firmware on the AC-86U. The router has yet to update itself from 384_20648 to 384_20942. Running sort of experiment to confirm if or when it will update itself, if ever ;)

I manually upgraded to 20942 as well as to 20648, but both of my AC-86Us automatically upgraded to the firmwares before 20648. I suppose there is a chance that ASUS disabled the automatic upgrade action in 20648. Has your AC86U recognized that a new firmware is available?

I manually upgraded to 20942 as well as to 20648, but both of my AC-86Us automatically upgraded to the firmwares before 20648. I suppose there is a chance that ASUS disabled the automatic upgrade action in 20648. Has your AC86U recognized that a new firmware is available?
The current router came with 382_18848 out of the box. It was a second AC86U. Was planning to let this firmware run for a week or two to let the hardware 'burn in'. However, it decided to automatically update to 384_20467 a few hours after unboxing, after the ASUS app was used (and the app was properly closed out not just tab out).

The upgrade to 384_20648 was done manually after some observations that it was not going to be automatic and the ASUS app no longer used.

It would be highly reckless of ASUS to force automatic updates as there are always risks that a wrong firmware deployed to the release server thereby potentially creating havoc on lots of routers around the globe, or allow intentional malicious firmware to get out, and the impact is immediate given that routers run 24x7. Pretty sure the ASUS corporate governance team would have processes to prevent these sort of risks from happening.

The current router came with 382_18848 out of the box. It was a second AC86U. Was planning to let this firmware run for a week or two to let the hardware 'burn in'. However, it decided to automatically update to 384_20467 a few hours after unboxing, after the ASUS app was used (and the app was properly closed out not just tab out).

The upgrade to 384_20648 was done manually after some observations that it was not going to be automatic and the ASUS app no longer used.

It would be highly reckless of ASUS to force automatic updates as there are always risks that a wrong firmware deployed to the release server thereby potentially creating havoc on lots of routers around the globe, or allow intentional malicious firmware to get out, and the impact is immediate given that routers run 24x7. Pretty sure the ASUS corporate governance team would have processes to prevent these sort of risks from happening.

What I said, only with app there was an autoupdate function activated by default on early releases.
No app no autoupdate!

Just upgraded 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh from GUI sans reset. No issues so far.
OE

The Android WiFi Analyzer app has indicated the root node 2.4 WLAN completely dropping while its 2.4 guest WLAN does not drop. I've seen this before with previous firmware. Then, I finally re-created the AiMesh religously AND swapped the router roles and had not seen this since. Now it has returned but to the other router with the current firmware.

So, I have re-created the AiMesh religously... Initialized and reset both routers and again swapped their roles. Swapping their roles just allows me to configure the node as the router first without fully taking down the existing router... a perk of having identical equipment.

So, I did reset this firmware upgrade after all. Looks steady so far... and, maybe it's an app quirk.

OE

Interesting point. We had suspected its the app that is scheduling the auto update. Could be something else too.

It is possible that ASUS disabled the auto update in one of the more recent firmwares. If auto update is no longer occurring, I suspect that's the reason. Are you still observing to see if it auto updates, or did you manually update?

Still monitoring and will wait for a two further weeks before completing a manual check on the new firmware (which is already on the release server). The yellow ! is not showing yet.

This will provide insights into how often the router will check for new firmware (wish there is an option). Once a firmware update is available (either by itself or a manual check), to determine if this will be scheduled or its completely manual.

Router is running 21 days since the last reboot which was attributed to a signature update. Firmware 384_20648 is really stable, apart from what will be considered minor bugs.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!