RT-AC86U 386.1 - NAT Loopback appears to be broken?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

supergifts_us

New Around Here
I just recently updated my RT-AC86U from Firmware Version: 384.19 to Firmware Version: 386.1 and noticed that NAT Loopback appears to be broken.

I have port forwarding to specific devices and DDNS enabled. Prior to the firmware update, I could simply point to my DDNS with specific port# from devices on the LAN and the RT-AC86U routes properly. After the update to 386.1, I can only access via DDNS and port# from outside my network. I downgraded to 384.19 and all is working again. Updated to 386.1 and broken again. Downgrade to 384.19 and works again... Anyone experience this?

eibgrad

Very Senior Member
OEM or Merlin firmware? Dirty upgrade, or did you do a factory reset after the upgrade?

eibgrad

Very Senior Member
NO. Never using a backup from a different firmware, ever! And always do a factory reset and reapply your changes manually. To do otherwise is asking for trouble.

supergifts_us

New Around Here
I figured so. Stupid to even ask. I'll update to latest Merlin, factory reset, and manually re-configure tomorrow and will report back.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

brobin

Occasional Visitor
I'm running 3.0.0.4.386_41634 (ASUS not Merlin) on an RT-AC1750 B1 and haven't had any Nat Loopback problems. You could try the ASUS load which might solve the problem or if not, at least prove the issue isn't related to Merlin. I don't use ASUS DDNS but one from Dyn.com that I've had for many years. For me, Nat Loopback is a critical feature.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!