What's new

RT-AC86U 5Ghz Encouragement?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m1nkeh

Occasional Visitor
So, i was fed up with my older router's poor range, so picked up an RT-AC86U from eBay - it is excellent, very pleased.

However, I can't figure out to 'configure' it so that my devices make full use of its awesomeness.. by that i specifically mean, prefer the 5Ghz if it's there, over the 2.4Ghz.

I've done a bunch of speed tests, and if i can actually get my devices which are at range, through some walls to stay on the 5Ghz band, it's perfect, couldn't wish for more, full steam ahead! The problem is, they don't ☹️.

I am thinking this is a range thing.. and the 2.4Hz is simply easier to grab a hold of??

This might be a super-daft question, but is there a way to 'encourage' the 5Ghz usage?? I suppose i could just totally disable the 2.4Ghz nice super sure if that is advisable though, we've a couple of fairly old laptops still kicking around..

Use separate SSIDs for each band. Do not associate a device with both bands. :)

block the use of 2.4GHz for your 5GHz devices using a MAC filter ...

Better not to use filters as they might make more troubles.
Just use different SSIDs for 2,4 and 5GHz, keep the one you usually have for 5G and make a new one for 2,4, so most new devices will stay connected to 5G and then change connection for older 2,4G only clients.

OK, that's how it works. could not find any problems with me in this regard ..
Many roads lead to Rome!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!