What's new

RT-AC86U Administration - Restore vs Initialize

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smedley

Regular Contributor
On the RT-AC86U Administration->Restore/Save/Upload Settings page there are two options for Factory Default; Restore and Initialize.

What is the difference between these options? Which is appropriate after upgrading to a new firmware version?

Thanks in advance...

This option is new with 382_18219. Initialize will also remove the existing content of the /jffs/.sys/ folder which contains various data such as the (forecoming) Notification Center, Web History, etc... Restore will only erase the nvram configuration.

I upgraded the RTAC56U from 380.x to 384.4. After loading the firmware I simply reset the router by holding the reset button 5 sec.
1. I assume this means a Factory default Restore?

2. Do you recommend to do a Factory default Initialise after a major firmware upgrade?

3. When restoring router settings (I know its not recommended, but it is useful. I saved router settings immediately after a fresh install on the same firmware), does it restore nvram and content of the /jffs/.sys/ folder?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!