What's new

RT-AC86U and Alexa IFTTT compatibility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Titus

New Around Here
I just purchased a brand new Asus RT-AC86U router, and I was astonished to see that the latest Asus firmware does not contain the Alexa and IFTTT page.
This is despite the fact that all RT-AC86U reviews that I read say it is compatible with Alexa, same as the AC88.
Then I installed the latest Merlin 384.15 (release) thinking that it should have it. But no it doesn't.
I tried then the Merlin 384.16 beta. Nope, none of them have the Alexa feature.
I don't get it, isn't Merlin supposed to have more features? And the change log (current) says this is an option that has been added long time ago in 382. I don't understand, am I doing something wrong?
It shouldn't be that difficult to have this feature in the Merlin firmware, so that we can to enable the Alexa skill.
It shouldn't be any different than with other Asus routers like the AC88, or the new AX routers.
Please help here...
Thanks a lot guys

If Asus doesn't offer a feature such as what you're asking for, RMerlin firmware won't either.

Myself, I wish the RT-AX88U had that invasive 'feature' removed. If I wanted to buy spyware, I would. But this is a router to protect my network devices from the internet.

I just purchased a brand new Asus RT-AC86U router, and I was astonished to see that the latest Asus firmware does not contain the Alexa and IFTTT page.
This is despite the fact that all RT-AC86U reviews that I read say it is compatible with Alexa, same as the AC88.
Then I installed the latest Merlin 384.15 (release) thinking that it should have it. But no it doesn't.
I tried then the Merlin 384.16 beta. Nope, none of them have the Alexa feature.
I don't get it, isn't Merlin supposed to have more features? And the change log (current) says this is an option that has been added long time ago in 382. I don't understand, am I doing something wrong?
It shouldn't be that difficult to have this feature in the Merlin firmware, so that we can to enable the Alexa skill.
It shouldn't be any different than with other Asus routers like the AC88, or the new AX routers.
Please help here...
Thanks a lot guys

Alexa support is closed source. And if Asus doesn't enable it for a given model, then I cannot enable it either.

Right now, Alexa is disabled in Asus's own firmware for the RT-AC86U:

upload_2020-3-20_21-35-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-20_21-34-12.png
    upload_2020-3-20_21-34-12.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: a5m
You can try this command to enable any features you need, the prerequisite is that all the files required for the functions are already compiled in your firmware.
Enter it in the SSH client:
Code:
echo "$(nvram get rc_support)" >> /jffs/backupsettings && nvram set rc_support="$(nvram get rc_support) alexa ifttt" && nvram commit && reboot

If functions works after restart, that's fine. If not, use this command to revert your changes.
Code:
nvram set rc_support="$(cat /jffs/backupsettings)" && nvram commit && rm -f /jffs/backupsettings && reboot

When you finished that don't forget to DISABLE SSH.

Edit: If this goes against the forum rules, delete it and sorry.

Last edited:
You can try this command to enable any features you need, the prerequisite is that all the files required for the functions are already compiled in your firmware.

That is just pure cool! Some of us have an almost OCD need to modify every piece of electronics we own, even if there is no reason to.

As someone with a veritable truckload of now-broken hacked gadgets, blown out cars, rooted and crashed televisions, countless ECMed satellite receivers, modded DVD players and bricked phones, I thank you for giving me this opportunity to destroy my Asus router. :) ;)

(Seriously though, it really IS sometimes fun to spray the drapes to personalize them, right?)

That is just pure cool! Some of us have an almost OCD need to modify every piece of electronics we own, even if there is no reason to.

As someone with a veritable truckload of now-broken hacked gadgets, blown out cars, rooted and crashed televisions, countless ECMed satellite receivers, modded DVD players and bricked phones, I thank you for giving me this opportunity to destroy my Asus router. :) ;)

(Seriously though, it really IS sometimes fun to spray the drapes to personalize them, right?)
If it blows up a crater please let me know.:rolleyes:

If I wanted to buy spyware, I would. But this is a router to protect my network devices from the internet.

I guess you are right. I just wanted to enable the guest Wifi with an Alexa command to impress my visitors LOL. But I guess now being isolated, is not very useful :) So forget it...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!