What's new

RT-AC86U as small business router...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Can an RT-AC86U serve as a very small business router with private and public WiFi? I'm specifically wondering how to best utilize the dual-band wireless with AP isolation and/or guest networks with intranet isolation. The cable ISP speeds will be 60/5 Mbps. I'd appreciate any recommendations/advice as I have no experience in this application.

OE

Can an RT-AC86U serve as a very small business router with private and public WiFi?
Yes

However, in looking at my AC86U I am not certain how ASUS does this other than additional SSID. I am used to routers that allow guest SSID as well as a guest IP network. I really don’t want to make my router into a lab rat to find out.

The other piece that is missing is how to control traffic on guest network so that a guest doesn’t hog the bandwidth.

Yes

However, in looking at my AC86U I am not certain how ASUS does this other than additional SSID. I am used to routers that allow guest SSID as well as a guest IP network. I really don’t want to make my router into a lab rat to find out.

The other piece that is missing is how to control traffic on guest network so that a guest doesn’t hog the bandwidth.

Thanks! Traffic control may be beyond the scope of this project and my skills, and may ultimately reduce the spec to 'no public access, just trusted guest access'.

Here are some initial 86U 32799 findings using the ping test. I only tested using a 5.0 GHz WLAN and guest WLAN... too many networks and client connections otherwise to setup...

1. The Wireless\Professional\AP Isolated = Yes setting per band seems to isolate WLAN clients from each other including router-only guest WLANs. This appears to work for router wireless clients, but it does not work for AiMesh node wireless clients... node wireless clients still respond to router wireless clients (except not for router-only guest wireless clients with 2. Access Intranet = No) and to each other. Here, the term 'AP' means all router-only wireless networks.

2. The Guest Network\Access Intranet = No setting per guest network per band seems to isolate router-only guest WLAN clients from other WLAN clients including other guest WLANs, and from LAN clients; but not from each other (unless 1. AP Isolated = Yes). This appears to work for both router wired/wireless clients and across an AiMesh wireless backhaul for node wired/wireless clients. Here, the term 'Intranet' means all other router/node wired/wireless networks (I did not test across the 2.4 GHz band or additional guest networks).

I'm still considering how these findings will dictate a small business application. The guest network facility along with the wireless scheduler may be usable.

OE

Last edited:
With an ISP connection of 60/5 Mbps you really need to make sure that no guest can cause DoS (denial of service) to the business. Consequently, I would install a second router downstream from the AC86U solely for the guests as it appears that the AC86U cannot control speed of guest network. That second router must have the capability to limit download/upload speeds to say 20/2 Mbps.

With an ISP connection of 60/5 Mbps you really need to make sure that no guest can cause DoS (denial of service) to the business. Consequently, I would install a second router downstream from the AC86U solely for the guests as it appears that the AC86U cannot control speed of guest network. That second router must have the capability to limit download/upload speeds to say 20/2 Mbps.

Or maybe a proper AP wired to the 86U router could do this.

As this small business is starting out (cash poor), it's more likely we'll just omit public access and limit guest access to trusted users when necessary. I don't know... it's all new to me.

OE

I need to stop ignoring the things I usually ignore... guest networks have a bandwidth limiter:
GWLAN.PNG

I wonder how the access time setting is implemented. If I set 2 hours, is the client disconnected and then what... can they reconnect immediately?

OE

Last edited:
I failed to notice option, my bad. That is the answer to my concern.

Me, too!

I'm getting closer to a configuration proposal now. The owner will have the same router at home, and maybe some of the same SSIDs.

And he wants security cameras in phase 2. I've discovered the camera I've been playing with here is not isolated in this way... the camera on node 2.4 WLAN remains accessible by its Android app on router 5.0 guest WLAN despite the 2. Access Intranet = No setting. So, I suppose that traffic is boomeranging through the router WAN/Internet connection somehow... I didn't think that would work... if we ever get guest networks on the node, I may dedicate a guest WLAN to cameras/IoT clients.

OE

And he wants security cameras in phase 2.
The keyword is "cameras" plural. With a 5 Mbps upload, really? Plan on local storage, no cloud storage for the cameras. Also, if the intent is to capture video of a felon it better be HD.

The keyword is "cameras" plural. With a 5 Mbps upload, really? Plan on local storage, no cloud storage for the cameras. Also, if the intent is to capture video of a felon it better be HD.

Good points. His initial goal is one camera to check a live stream... look in on the shop from wherever... that should be doable.

Prior to this project, I've been playing with a cheap Wyze Cam... it live streams HD at about 100KB/s... or 0.8 Mbps. It can upload snippets to rotating cloud storage. It's probably not industrial strength, but it's only $25 including the AWS cloud service. I haven't tried the cloud bit yet... it's just a toy here.

OE

My wife won't let me but the camera that I like is Reolink as there are PC based apps that support. Anyway, I would recommend Ethernet cameras if you have the business and customers on WiFi.

Going to stream some video entertainment so my future replies may be delayed by 12 hours.

Home Router - yes, good choice

Small Business Router - likely not...

Does usage matter? Home networks are growing... streaming, security, gaming, voice/video, multiple APs, NAS, etc. The small business application I'm considering is one PC, a few smart phones, and the occasional guest user in a 1000 sq. ft. Where's the weak spot if it's not the load?

OE

I am running a RT-AC68U on a small business network. Have a Linux security camera server monitoring 17 IP cameras. There are a couple of access points in the warehouse and a GIG switch to add wired capacity. On a 20 down 5 up connection. Router currently running John's fork to use DoT. This is a not for profit that refurbs computers to give away, well for the cost of Windows. No complaints about capacity!
Your RT-AC86U should fly!!!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I recommend that you use AP separately from the router, to have the most stable connection and stop using the Router/AP combos for home and buy the router and AP separately for enterprise.

Router: EdgeRouter 4 (ER-4)
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-4/

AP: UniFi nanoHD (UAP-nanoHD)
https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/ (Wi-Fi Users: 200+ Users)

Try AP Demo "UniFi Controller software":
https://demo.ubnt.com/manage/site/outlets (Dashboard)
https://demo.ubnt.com/manage/site/outlets/settings/site (Settings)

Video about the Router:

Video about the AP:

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!