What's new

RT-AC86U can't robocfg vlan's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bolt

New Around Here
Hello,

I am new to Asuswrt-Merlin. I'm converting from an RT-N16 with dd-wrt to a new RT-AC86U. I have flashed it with 382.1_2

To replace my existing setup, I need to setup multiple SSID's, and separate my LAN ports from each other to assign them to VLAN's to go with the SSID's.

I have googled the subject, and keep coming back to SSH commands including robocfg. I get a response -sh: robocfg: not found. Doing a <Tab><Tab> (or busybox) also does not show it. Does 382.1_2 not have the robocf command? Does it need to be added, or how do I proceed here?

Dang it, I searched extensively with no luck, before and after purchase. Thanks for the links.

Now I have a $200 router that can't do what my $80 one did for years on end.

What are my other options at this point?

Now I have a $200 router that can't do what my $80 one did for years on end.

A $100,000 Ferrari can't do what your $80 router can do either...

Bottom-line, capabilities have nothing to do with price. The RT-AC86U will outperform an RT-N16 in virtually every aspects.

The RT-AC86U does have VLAN capabilities, we just don't have any documentation as to how to configure it manually.

(note that original Broadcom routers didn't either - robocfg is actually a third-party tool developed through reverse engineering to achieve that purpose).

I understand. But when I did me research everything I found was that the RT-AC86U was basically an upgraded RT-AC68U in every way. Yes, I should have dug further. I got into the RT-N16 late in the game, and was thinking to go with top of the line so I could make it 5 years down the road...

What do you think, will the VLAN capabilities come soon, or will it be a while before it is reverse engineered through ethctl?

Which router do you suggest I go with? All I really need are OpenVPN server capabilities, and separate ports onto VLAN's and SSID's. No huge performance requirements, only have 15 mbps download capabilities. Would the RT-AC68U still suit my needs for years to come?

What do you think, will the VLAN capabilities come soon, or will it be a while before it is reverse engineered through ethctl?

Check here on the forums, I know some people have tinkered with ethctl already, you might find some useful info there.

Which router do you suggest I go with? All I really need are OpenVPN server capabilities, and separate ports onto VLAN's and SSID's. No huge performance requirements, only have 15 mbps download capabilities. Would the RT-AC68U still suit my needs for years to come?

For 15 Mbps, an RT-AC68U would indeed be more than sufficient performance-wise. Since that model has a lot of popular variants, I suspect Asus will support it for many more years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!