What's new

Rt-Ac86U clients disappearing reappearing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diamond

Occasional Visitor
Hi there as per title I've only had this router a little while so I'm unsure of a lot at this stage but I have the client list disappearing and reappearing on the main menu on stock and now Merlin firmware. It seems fairly random so far. I also have a virgin hub 3.0 in modem mode and the WAN connection from it basically flashes really fast constantly with out stopping which I've never seen before and I'm taking never stopping even with nothing connected to it (except the wan of course) :/ . Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there as per title I've only had this router a little while so I'm unsure of a lot at this stage but I have the client list disappearing and reappearing on the main menu on stock and now Merlin firmware. It seems fairly random so far. I also have a virgin hub 3.0 in modem mode and the WAN connection from it basically flashes really fast constantly with out stopping which I've never seen before and I'm taking never stopping even with nothing connected to it :/ . Thanks!

The client list is known to be erratic. It may settle down with time. I've seen it recall devices no longer connected, so it may use logged data. The GUI firmware Restore/Initialize performs a factory default reset and clears logged data, so I prefer to use it after installing the firmware and before configuring the router... a clean slate.

OE

Hi there as per title I've only had this router a little while so I'm unsure of a lot at this stage but I have the client list disappearing and reappearing on the main menu on stock and now Merlin firmware. It seems fairly random so far. I also have a virgin hub 3.0 in modem mode and the WAN connection from it basically flashes really fast constantly with out stopping which I've never seen before and I'm taking never stopping even with nothing connected to it (except the wan of course) :/ . Thanks!
I have same anomaly.
Most likely a GUI bug not a connectivity bug.

Ok thanks for that. Hopefully it's a bug to be sorted in an update. Although it is more stable in my android app. I haven't noticed any connection problems as such. I've noticed on wireshark it seems to be scanning all ips like who has ....01 02 etc tell the router.

Any ideas on why WAN is constantly flashing? Anyone have a modem hooked up to one of these? Thx!

Ok thanks for that. Hopefully it's a bug to be sorted in an update. Although it is more stable in my android app. I haven't noticed any connection problems as such. I've noticed on wireshark it seems to be scanning all ips like who has ....01 02 etc tell the router.

Any ideas on why WAN is constantly flashing? Anyone have a modem hooked up to one of these? Thx!

If you mean the Internet LED on the front of the 86U, yes it flashes irregularly on my cable modem connection.

OE

If you mean the Internet LED on the front of the 86U, yes it flashes irregularly on my cable modem connection.

OE
No I mean it's just constant and regular and really fast even with just the WAN / modem connected and nothing else. Like 5 or so times a second. I've never seen that on any router or modem etc. ... Well maybe a bit like when you have a seriously heavy download upload situation going on might look a bit like this but in my case it has never changed not even for 1 second and it's only the WAN connection so the LED on the router front and the lights on the modem where is plugged into via ethernet cable.

The wireless LEDS and the 1 2 3... etc. Ethernet port LEDs all seem normal with irregular flashes and only when downloading uploading / at the correct times. :/ Thx

I can’t access the router menu on my 86U. Nothing happens when I put the ip address in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 86u does the same thing. So did my 68u. Everything works and I don't really check the client list very often so I just ignore it

No I mean it's just constant and regular and really fast even with just the WAN / modem connected and nothing else. Like 5 or so times a second. I've never seen that on any router or modem etc. ... Well maybe a bit like when you have a seriously heavy download upload situation going on might look a bit like this but in my case it has never changed not even for 1 second and it's only the WAN connection so the LED on the router front and the lights on the modem where is plugged into via ethernet cable.

The wireless LEDS and the 1 2 3... etc. Ethernet port LEDs all seem normal with irregular flashes and only when downloading uploading / at the correct times. :/ Thx

Mine flashes fast many times a second, with some pauses. I would say check it after your next reset to see if it's different. But if everything is working, I would ignore it.

OE

I use that very same IP address

OK, my knowledge on this is very limited. The only other thing I can suggest is to open a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /all" and see if the default gateway is indeed 192.168.50.1. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can offer a better answer.

Diamond, welcome. Our first two new 86Us refused to accept an upgrade to Merlin's FW. They wouldn't save the client IP list or allow the gateway address to be changed. The third unit has had no problems. All of our devices are saved on the client IP list and routed through the router's OpenVPN clients. Nothing drops to WAN but we do have our fair share of blinking LEDs; this is the first heard of such rapid blinking.

You could test for anything hitting your address by plugging a non-critical laptop directly into the modem, running a software firewall and/or Wireshark, to log everything directed at your address. Set the laptop to sync automatically to the modem/WAN address, then repeat the test by plugging the laptop into the router port and record a new log. Turn the modem off, wait a minute or two, then power it back on and let it sync, followed by the router. Compare the logs. If you have a phone with plenty of space or a video camera, you can record the LEDs blinking during the tests, FWIW.

If the tests show no unusual incoming activity, congratulations, you may have discovered an isolated/rare bug to report to Asus. If you bought the router within the last 30 days, consider exchanging it for a new one that may not have the same set of issues. In the past Asus wasn't quick to address isolated bugs that didn't affect many units but they've been trying to improve. If you can't return your router and don't have a spare, your options are dwindling.

You might try to reinstall the Asus FW from scratch or try Merlin's FW to see if the blinking slows and could try changing your gateway address to the traditional 192.168.1.1; it can't hurt to try. Using Cloudflare or Quad9 DNS may help reduce LED rapidly-blinking syndrome (no pun intended) by cutting down on your exposure to illicit scans from bad sites, if it's not a FW bug.

If logs show you're being hammered by bad actors, as long as the addresses aren't related to your normal computing and downloading activities, consider contacting your ISP's highest technical support tier and offer your test logs to prove you're the good guy. It's always a good reason to stay on good terms with the ISP, they don't like the bad actors either. If you have the capability and resources to perform your own firewall and filtering, while it's not easy, it's your system and you're the boss. None of these chores becomes easier.

These are a couple of ideas and guesses, we haven't used the stock FW for years. Our gear runs on separate battery back-UPS and is powered up fresh daily. Not everyone can leave their system powered down at night to reduce their exposure and keep the electric bill down. Good luck, hope this helps.

Ok well this doesn't look normal :/ :
20190120_133016.jpg

That's like over 15000 hits in a matter of seconds :0 ! Not sure why this is happening?
Thanks for that I'm fairly new to most of this as I've not been networking stuff for ages and never used wireshark before this week.

N6FsNvg

I can access the router main page from my phone but not my computer. Any thoughts?

I can access the router main page from my phone but not my computer. Any thoughts?

Try using a different computer and browser.

Reset your router to gain access to router.asus.com or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1 (86U).

OE

Try using a different computer and browser.

Reset your router to gain access to router.asus.com or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1 (86U).

OE

Before I try a reset what would cause this to happen? I’ve accessed the computer without any issues in the past. I also find it weird I can type the IP address in my phone and pull it up but nothing happens on my computer. Thank you

Before I try a reset what would cause this to happen? I’ve accessed the computer without any issues in the past. I also find it weird I can type the IP address in my phone and pull it up but nothing happens on my computer. Thank you

Try deleting your browser cache?

Try another browser?

You could probably Google it and come up with similar considerations.

If it works from other devices, then it must be something with your computer/browser. Is it Safari?

OE

Try deleting your browser cache?

Try another browser?

You could probably Google it and come up with similar considerations.

If it works from other devices, then it must be something with your computer/browser. Is it Safari?

OE

Browser cache was cleared and did not fix it. I use Microsoft edge and never had a problem. I’ve searched the Internet as well and tried some things but nothing works. Just happened out of the blue so bizarre.

Has two threads merged here or something?

Back to me again :/ ... So anyone know why I'm getting millions of hits? I see talk of loops in the network but I've literally got the modem and the router here or the laptop and modem so the loop is before the modem? Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!