What's new

RT-AC86U Connection To Desktop Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pitchrate

New Around Here
I recently replaced my RT-N66U with an RT-AC86U to get better signal strength as well as better throughput. The new router connects to my laptop with both 4.2 GHz and 5 GHz as well as by cable to one of the LAN ports. HOWEVER, my desktop will not connect either through the LAN ports or through the 4.2 GHz wireless (no 5GHz on the desktop).

The LAN adaptor will go through a cycle of “Identifying”, then show connected for about 2 sec, then show “Network cable unplugged”. I can connect the same cable directly to my modem and get a good connection. I have also tried different LAN ports on the router. Also, as mentioned above my laptop connects to the LAN fine with the same cable.

The wireless will show connected but no internet. I linked a WiFi extender that I have to the new router and then I can connect the desktop to the WiFi extender OK.

I had no issues with the N66U. I addition, other items (iPhones and security cams, etc) connect fine on both 4.2 GHz and 5 GHz. I have done a factory reset with no change to these problems.

I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Is the 2.4 Ghz radio actually broadcasting on a channel 1-11? Is the LED for the 2.4 Ghz on?

If the SSID for both radios is the same temporarily set them as different then using a device other than your desktop see if you can connect to the 2.4 Ghz radio? When testing disable your extender.

The AC86 has a history of issues with the 2.4 Ghz radio which could be your problem.

I recently replaced my RT-N66U with an RT-AC86U to get better signal strength as well as better throughput. The new router connects to my laptop with both 4.2 GHz and 5 GHz as well as by cable to one of the LAN ports. HOWEVER, my desktop will not connect either through the LAN ports or through the 4.2 GHz wireless (no 5GHz on the desktop).

The LAN adaptor will go through a cycle of “Identifying”, then show connected for about 2 sec, then show “Network cable unplugged”. I can connect the same cable directly to my modem and get a good connection. I have also tried different LAN ports on the router. Also, as mentioned above my laptop connects to the LAN fine with the same cable.

The wireless will show connected but no internet. I linked a WiFi extender that I have to the new router and then I can connect the desktop to the WiFi extender OK.

I had no issues with the N66U. I addition, other items (iPhones and security cams, etc) connect fine on both 4.2 GHz and 5 GHz. I have done a factory reset with no change to these problems.

I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

It's 2.4 GHz. :)

I would assume the new router is ok. Good choice.

I would try a different Ethernet cable, but I don't think that's it.

I would troubleshoot the desktop network adapter. I would determine its make and model and driver version and then search the OEM website for a more recent driver version. If found, installing that might jiggle something free. Another approach would be uninstall/re-install the adapter within the OS using the existing driver.

Sometimes a hard incompatibility between the two end Ethernet ports can be overcome by inserting a switch between them. The retired N66U might serve as a switch if you disable all of its other router/WiFi functions.

OE

Is the 2.4 Ghz radio actually broadcasting on a channel 1-11? Is the LED for the 2.4 Ghz on?

If the SSID for both radios is the same temporarily set them as different then using a device other than your desktop see if you can connect to the 2.4 Ghz radio? When testing disable your extender.

The AC86 has a history of issues with the 2.4 Ghz radio which could be your problem.

OP's laptop connects fine all around.

OE

OP's laptop connects fine all around.

OE

But is the OP sure the laptop is connecting using the 2.4 Ghz radio from the AC86? If they are using the same SSID for both radios it could be misleading.

It's 2.4 GHz.

UI would assume the new router is ok. Good choice.

I would try a different Ethernet cable, but I don't think that's it.

I would troubleshoot the desktop network adapter. I would determine its make and model and driver version and then search the OEM website for a more recent driver version. If found, installing that might jiggle something free. Another approach would be uninstall/re-install the adapter within the OS using the existing driver.

Sometimes a hard incompatibility between the two end Ethernet ports can be overcome by inserting a switch between them. The retired N66U might serve as a switch if you disable all of its other router/WiFi functions.

OE
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the network adapter driver and it is the most current one. (it also connects fine to the N66U which I switched it back in for another test yesterday). I will delete and reinstall the driver to see if that does anything. The SIDD is different for the two radios. I currently have the router set for Channel 6.

I did try a different cable and also used both cables when connecting my laptop to the LAN. I have disabled/enabled the LAN adapter several times, and I have currently have it disabled otherwise it takes priority over my wireless adapter and keeps cycling the wireless in and out as it tries to connect to the LAN. While it does try to connect to the LAN I get a flashing LAN light on the router. In addition I have good 2.4 and 5 lights on the router.

Other than the desktop issues I am pleased with the new router. However, I really would like to at least get the LAN connection issue fixed. I really thought that the LAN ports were essentially just pass-through from the modem. I don't understand what the router does between the modem and LAN ports. Plus the fact that my laptop connects to the LAN fine makes it obvious that the issue is with the desktop LAN adapter (which works fine with the N66U.

YES 2.4 GHz. It's tough being Dyslexic, but I do believe in Dog. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the network adapter driver and it is the most current one. (it also connects fine to the N66U which I switched it back in for another test yesterday). I will delete and reinstall the driver to see if that does anything. The SIDD is different for the two radios. I currently have the router set for Channel 6.

I did try a different cable and also used both cables when connecting my laptop to the LAN. I have disabled/enabled the LAN adapter several times, and I have currently have it disabled otherwise it takes priority over my wireless adapter and keeps cycling the wireless in and out as it tries to connect to the LAN. While it does try to connect to the LAN I get a flashing LAN light on the router. In addition I have good 2.4 and 5 lights on the router.

Other than the desktop issues I am pleased with the new router. However, I really would like to at least get the LAN connection issue fixed. I really thought that the LAN ports were essentially just pass-through from the modem. I don't understand what the router does between the modem and LAN ports. Plus the fact that my laptop connects to the LAN fine makes it obvious that the issue is with the desktop LAN adapter (which works fine with the N66U.

YES 2.4 GHz. It's tough being Dyslexic, but I do believe in Dog. ;)

One note... older systems with both wired and wireless adapters do not tolerate both being enabled.

Is the desktop using the router DHCP server to get its IP address i.e., no conflicting static IP set on the desktop adapters?

OE

Have you set the wireless mode on 2.4 Ghz to auto and the channel width to 20 Mhz?

Have you set the wireless mode on 2.4 Ghz to auto and the channel width to 20 Mhz?
Wireless Mode is set to “Auto”
Channel bandwidth is set to 20 MHz
Control channel is set to 6

OzarkEdge
One note... older systems with both wired and wireless adapters do not tolerate both being enabled.

I have disabled each adapter while using the other. However, on my desktop, with both adapters enabled, the LAN adapter has priority.

Is the desktop using the router DHCP server to get its IP address i.e., no conflicting static IP set on the desktop adapters?

Yes, the desktop is using the router DHCP server for its IP address.

I checked the adapters (LAN & wireless) on my laptop and made sure that the desktop adapters are configured the same. What is so frustrating is that the desktop works fine when I am using the RT-N66U router.

only for testing connect PC to N66U and N66U to router so its acting as switch, just to see if LAN signal is somehow too weak for 86U.

What IP address range are you using now on the RT-AC86U compared to previously on the RT-N66U? I believe the defaults are 192.168.50.x and 192.168.1.x respectively. Do you have any security/firewall software installed on the desktop that would be blocking access to the new subnet (192.168.50.x)?

Otherwise, look in the desktop's Windows Event Log to see why it is disconnecting. Also, log into the RT-AC86U from another device and examine the System Log > General Log.

only for testing connect PC to N66U and N66U to router so its acting as switch, just to see if LAN signal is somehow too weak for 86U.
Thanks for the reply. So to do this I would connect the N66U to one of the LAN ports on the N86U. I assume I would have to log onto the N66U and configure it as a switch. Is this correct?

Also, as mentioned above, I have successfully connected my laptop to the N86U LAN.

yes thats the plan, 86U-LAN to 66U-LAN and from other LAN to PC, turn off DHCP on 66U.
But others will know better, never had a 66U.

What IP address range are you using now on the RT-AC86U compared to previously on the RT-N66U? I believe the defaults are 192.168.50.x and 192.168.1.x respectively. Do you have any security/firewall software installed on the desktop that would be blocking access to the new subnet (192.168.50.x)?
Otherwise, look in the desktop's Windows Event Log to see why it is disconnecting. Also, log into the RT-AC86U from another device and examine the System Log > General Log.
The current LAN IP is 192.168.50.1 I will have to fire up the N66U to see what IP(s) is set to.

Now for the really strange part; the LAN connection is staying connected for periods up to 3.5 minutes. I have attached a screen shot both a Windows event log and the router General Log. I have also disabled my security/internet firewall (ESET Internet Security) and still get the disconnects.

Edit: added router log as a text file:
Windows Event Log 1.jpg

View attachment 19932 Windows Event Log 1.jpg View attachment 19932

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    396.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
yes thats the plan, 86U-LAN to 66U-LAN and from other LAN to PC, turn off DHCP on 66U.
But others will know better, never had a 66U.
IT WORKS. :) As I type and send this I am working on my desktop and using the 66U as a switch connected to the 86U.

So this set-up works. What does that say about the RT-AC86U?

Also, member OzarkEdge gets credit for mentioning this also.

Thanks to all the forum members for their help with this problem.

Bob

Really cant tell you why, only read in the past that some could solve their LAN problems by using a switch in between.
Either hardware or software, somehow bad ports or connection, noise on the cable, weak signal or simply protocol incompatibility.

As a follow-up. I still have to use my RT-N66U as a switch for LAN access to the RT-AC86U. However, I did fix the inability of my desktop to connect wireless to the 86U by disabling the Universal Beamforming.

I did fix the inability of my desktop to connect wireless to the 86U by disabling the Universal Beamforming.

That makes sense for an older 2.4 GHz-only network adapter. Good catch!

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!