What's new

RT-AC86U Default IP Address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rjih

Occasional Visitor
Every piece of documentation I have been able to review lists the default IP address for the AC86U as 192.168.1.1. I recently took delivery on a AC86U and the default IP address is 192.168.50.1. I have reset the router to factory defaults and the 192.168.50.1 address remains. I know the default IP address is simple to change, but I was wondering if this particular router is not conforming to normal specifications. Will someone who has a AC86U confirm their default IP address.

It varies between models. Newer models will usually print the default IP on their label.

And this is annoying as sin. Bouncing back and forth between IP groups to set the dumb thing up and revert it back to the normal 192.168.1.1.

I got a UK AC86U this week and its default address is .1.1, like the AC68U it has replaced.

Just received and set up a new RT-AC86U and its default address is 192.168.50.1. The http://router.asus.com address would not work for me and of course 192.1.168.1.1 like every router I have owned wouldn't work either. If the default address is on the router I can't find it. If I had not read about this change of the default address on this forum I would not have known how to access the router. I can see why some of the reviews about setting up this router are negative. After I got into the router everything else went fairly smoothly. Had to change the static address of 2 devices I had from .1 to .50 which caused a small delay.

I noticed this too when I got my new 86U a week ago. Instead of changing the static addresses of my existing equipment I just changed the address of the router to 1.1

Every piece of documentation I have been able to review lists the default IP address for the AC86U as 192.168.1.1. I recently took delivery on a AC86U and the default IP address is 192.168.50.1. I have reset the router to factory defaults and the 192.168.50.1 address remains. I know the default IP address is simple to change, but I was wondering if this particular router is not conforming to normal specifications. Will someone who has a AC86U confirm their default IP address.
Mine is 192.168.50.1 and I set it to 192.168.1.1. It's a pain in the butt.

I just left mine at 192.168.50.1. Is there a reason I'm unaware of that leaving it would cause some sort of issue?

I just left mine at 192.168.50.1. Is there a reason I'm unaware of that leaving it would cause some sort of issue?

No issue after it is up and running, I left mine a 168.50.1 also. Biggest problem was not knowing it was this address at the beginning. Once setup no real difference.

And this is annoying as sin. Bouncing back and forth between IP groups to set the dumb thing up and revert it back to the normal 192.168.1.1.
My RT-AC66U_B1 also had a default IP address of 192.168.50.1 so that is what my LAN has run for several years. 192.168.1.1 is not "normal" but is commonly used. Some routers use 192.168.0.1.

I manage a couple of remote networks via OpenVPN on Asus routers. I find it easier to manage devices on the remote LAN if the network IP address range is different.

My LAN has used 192.168.1.1 as its IP for eons. So I have to remember to set the default IP any time I reset my router. It's not really a pain in the butt.

I'm just getting grumpy... :mad:

as I become...

less youthful. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!