What's new

rt-ac86u dhcp and windows server 2012 r2 dns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ludo14

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

RT-AC86U Router setup as DHCP server
Windows server 2012 R2 as DC and DNS server

In router lan > dhcp server what should I put in the rt-ac86u domain name?
domain.local
or
ac86u.domain.local ?

In router lan > dhcp server is there an ability to type two dns servers?
Or would typing only windows dns server ip then router will give out itself dns as secondary?

Would the router be able to update windows dns server dynamically if leaving security as unsecured and secured?

Right now when looking at network neighborhood the only computers listed are the few important ones I have manually typed in the windows dns.

The reason I was thinking to do it this way is in case DC is having a problem the rest of the network will run.
There is a second server for file sharing.

In router lan > dhcp server what should I put in the rt-ac86u domain name?
domain.local
or
ac86u.domain.local ?
Don't use a domain ending with ".local" as that's a reserved name. Use something like "mydomain.lan". That way your clients will be called something like "server1.mydomain.lan", "printer.mydomain.lan", etc.

Would the router be able to update windows dns server dynamically if leaving security as unsecured and secured?
I don't believe so, it will be down to the client to register its name in DNS. That's the advantage of having the domain controller running both the DHCP server and the DNS server, DHCP can update DNS. The same thing would happen if the router was handling both DHCP and DNS (dnsmasq does that).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!