What's new

RT-AC86U Dying? or just random stuff?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC86U. Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.45717. Been running great since I got it about a year ago.

I signed into the web interface today and notice the RAM used was about 480mb out of 512mb. Seems a little high. So I rebooted using the reboot button in the UI.

When the router rebooted, it came back with only 3 LEDs light (Power and Both Wifi). I saw the other LEDs for a few seconds, but it settled with just those 3. No WAN or LAN connectivity. No other LEDs came on.

Tried powering off a few times and back on. Tried removing power for 30 seconds and trying again. No luck.

So I did a hard reset using the WPS button. Booted up and everything seemed to be ok. I had to go and reconfigure everything from scratch. When I got to the USB setting, I enabled the USB drive setting and when the item was saving, the same thing with the 3 LEDS and no network access WAN or LAN.

I powered off and back on, and it came back fine.

I guess the question is... Is my RT-AC86U dying? Should I see if I can get it repaired/replaced?
Or can stuff like this happen? Seems funky to me and I don't want to wait until it's completely dead.

format and test stick on a PC and try again with factory defaults (hard reset)
clear jffs too (factory reset with initialize)

It's a USB Portable HD. It's working now.

I don't really want to reset again..since it's working. Just wondering if this is some type of symptom of the router dying.

dont think so, mostly full or corrupted NVRAM or data corruption on USB device.

Ok..thanks.. Just wierd that it locked up like that. I saved my config this time. I don't think it was the USB device, because it wouldn't boot even without the usb connected.

It's a USB Portable HD. It's working now.

I don't really want to reset again..since it's working. Just wondering if this is some type of symptom of the router dying.

If it's bus powered (pulling power from the USB port), it might be pulling more power than the port can deliver.

Have seen this in the past with many Router/AP's that support USB file sharing, not unique to Asus.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!