What's new

RT-AC86U finally died looking for recommendations! :D

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xruptor

Regular Contributor
Well after all these years my RT-AC86U finally died. This morning I checked and my internet was down. Upon inspecting the router, I noticed only the first LAN light (LAN 5) is on and barely dimmed or visible, almost like it's not getting enough power. I disconnected it and tried various outlets and resets. No matter what I do it just won't power up completely. I can't even get it to connect via LAN to do a recovery on it. It just seems like it shorted or something is wrong with the hardware that isn't letting it startup. So I'm going to toss it and get a new one, but all these models are so confusing and I don't know if I should go with AC or AX.

I'm looking for recommendations on a new router? I'm unsure if I should go AC and AX and honestly. To be honest sometimes these naming conventions are confusing for ASUS routers. (Especially their numeric system). I can't really tell which models are old and what the major differences are. I have quite a number of streaming ROKU devices, several gaming systems and PCS in the house. The RT-AC86U handled it like a champ. So I need something that is relatively new and not going to cost $400 dollars to replace it. I would like something that is relatively new and not something that is already 3 years old or something. I'm looking for stability and raw performance for gaming as well. I would like the router to last for several years just like my AC-86U. My goal is to get something good, stable, relatively priced and not 3 years old.

Oh and it must support Asuswrt-Merlin :)

Any suggestions or advice would be truly appreciated!

Last edited:
I've been reading that at least from the research I've looked at. I've noticed though that the RT-AX86U was released in 2020 making it 2 years old already. Trying to balance release, age and performance and it can get tricky. Not sure if any newer models would be worth it in terms of performance or stability. In general everything seems to be pointing to the RT-AX86U even though there have been newer models. I'm even seeing a RT-AX92U I think though some seem more geared towards gaming while others just have extra ports? I prefer the gaming aspect and speed rather then the extra ports. However if the newer models out perform and are stable, it may be worth the extra cash. Hmm wonder if other folks have any suggestions. Otherwise RT-AX86U seems like the only go to right now.

Attachments

• release-date.gif
    release-date.gif
    40.6 KB · Views: 153
Oh and it must support Asuswrt-Merlin :)

***AX86U***

spend the money on the AX models

it's night and day from what you have been using

AC86U/AC68U (You said both in post #1) = open it up, bad caps can be replaced, so can the ac adapter. Do you know how to use a DMM to test ac adapter?

Well after all these years my RT-AC68U finally died.
I would like the router to last for several years just like my AC-86U.

Last edited:

***AX86U***

spend the money on the AX models

it's night and day from what you have been using

AC86U/AC68U (You said both in post #1) = open it up, bad caps can be replaced, so can the ac adapter. Do you know how to use a DMM to test ac adapter?

It was a typo, thanks for pointing that out! :D Much appreciated! It should be RT-AC86U. The darn numbers are so close I must have inverted it lol.

That's another +1 for the AX86U compared to the other models. I'm seeing a pattern lol.

I do have a DMM but I can't get the dang thing to work with the tiny AC Adapter Male Connector. In terms of opening the Router up and replacing the caps, hmm... I'm capable in terms of hardware modifications and soldering, but this may be out of my field of knowledge for testing. Wouldn't know where to begin XD

It was a typo, thanks for pointing that out! :D Much appreciated! It should be RT-AC86U. The darn numbers are so close I must have inverted it lol.

That's another +1 for the AX86U compared to the other models. I'm seeing a pattern lol.

I do have a DMM but I can't get the dang thing to work with the tiny AC Adapter Male Connector. In terms of opening the Router up and replacing the caps, hmm... I'm capable in terms of hardware modifications and soldering, but this may be out of my field of knowledge for testing. Wouldn't know where to begin XD

Adapter is most likely center pin positive so hold the red lead in the center and the black on the outside chrome barrel.

Diagram is always molded into adapter with regards to + and - .

Use a paper clip if your lead/probe is too fat to go inside the barrel.

Last edited:
Adapter is most likely center pin positive so hold the red lead in the center and the black on the outside chrome barrel.

Diagram is always molded into adapter with regards to + and - .

Use a paper clip if your lead/probe is too fat to go inside the barrel.
Duh I should have thought of the paperclip trick LOL. Yeah it's coming back at 19V which is exactly what the adapter is supposed to output. So it's not the adapter, it must be the router itself :(

Duh I should have thought of the paperclip trick LOL. Yeah it's coming back at 19V which is exactly what the adapter is supposed to output. So it's not the adapter, it must be the router itself :(
Open it up, a really bad cap is easy to see. Sometimes it's just one cap that needs replacing, closest to where the power comes in. Sometimes it's not the top of the cap they can also bulge from the bottom (look under as well)

You could make yourself a spare, nothing to lose.

Open it up, a really bad cap is easy to see. Sometimes it's just one cap that needs replacing, closest to where the power comes in. Sometimes it's not the top of the cap they can also bulge from the bottom (look under as well)

You could make yourself a spare, nothing to lose.

I opened it up and I'm not seeing anything burned or broken using the naked eye. So it's a mystery. I looked over it pretty well too and can't see anything wrong. I tried plugging it in and again only the LAN 5 light turns on and just barely. It's very dim.

IMG-20220423-111201035.jpg

IMG-20220423-111251093-HDR.jpg

So far the indications are that I should get a RT-AX86U compared to all the other ones available. I'll see if anyone else has any other suggestions or advice. Seems pretty clear so far though even if I took all the other models into consideration.

Even if the RT-AX86U is already a few years old probably by now.

Hmm.... much to think on. I'll try looking at the hardware of the RT-AC86U again. Maybe I didn't spot something.

Last edited:
I opened it up and I'm not seeing anything burned or broken using the naked eye. So it's a mystery. I looked over it pretty well too and can't see anything wrong. I tried plugging it in and again only the LAN 5 light turns on and just barely. It's very dim.

IMG-20220423-111201035.jpg

IMG-20220423-111251093-HDR.jpg

So far the indications are that I should get a RT-AX86U compared to all the other ones available. I'll see if anyone else has any other suggestions or advice. Seems pretty clear so far though even if I took all the other models into consideration.

Even if the RT-AX86U is already a few years old probably by now.

Hmm.... much to think on. I'll try looking at the hardware of the RT-AC86U again. Maybe I didn't spot something.

This part looks bad, split top: that 1, does most of the heavy lifting, is closet to incoming power.
If you replace with another surface mount cap, be sure to maintain polarity (bad news if you reverse)

Bad Cap.JPG

Last edited:
This part looks bad, split top: that 1, does most of the heavy lifting, is closet to incoming power.
If you replace with another surface mount cap, be sure to maintain polarity (bad news if you reverse)

View attachment 40955
It's a bit hard to see from the picture but that looks normal. Electrolytic capacitors have a cross shape stamped into the top to deliberately create a weak point. So if they explode the contents are ejected out of the top causing less damage than if it exploded downwards or sideways.

EDIT: See this (@ 2m 45s):

It's a bit hard to see from the picture but that looks normal. Electrolytic capacitors have a cross shape stamped into the top to deliberately create a weak point. So if they explode the contents are ejected out of the top causing less damage than if it exploded downwards or sideways.

EDIT: See this (@ 2m 45s):
The quarter that has the 25V in it looks up. They also can be bit out of spec and all else will fail.

old part, no stock: https://www.digikey.com/en/products...qmbJyQINa2Ds6uHl6SIAC0skoqaiGa4SAAHGAldKbi1UA

new part: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nichicon/UUE1E471MNS1MS/2549876?s=N4IgjCBcoGwJxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAPZQDaIALAAxwDMdIAuoQA4AuUIAymwE4CWAOwDmIAL6EA7ACYArIhApIGHAWJkQ02jFm1pTVh0jc+Q0RM1UKCaIrRY8hEpHIVJVAAQBWgGIGQ7JwAqoL8bADyqACyuOjYAK68uOKE0lSSNsj2qk4ach4Aav6BxiFhkTFxickWALT6tkp88WrO5PKMYhYN5FjxALZCAx5I6CzYTGJAA

That's what I figured as well. I tried comparing it with others online. (see attachment) It looks somewhat normal to me. I looked over it again but I suppose I can replace it. I don't exactly know what component to use for it.

It doesn't seem to the correct voltage or even specs. I'm reading the following from mine.
VZH
25V

Seems pretty close. After viewing the hardware again all over the place I just don't see anything really that stands out as broken, popped or burned.

1650728536093.png
1650728762694.png

GT-AX6000
This has always been less than $400 ;)

XD hehe it is less than $400. Just need to look it up compared to the other models and vs the RT-AX86U. I'm going to immediately assume it's at least faster and what not since it seems newer. Hmm I will admit I've never tried the ROG routers. Worth investigating and looking into comparisons vs my needs. Thanks for the suggestion :D

That's what I figured as well. I tried comparing it with others online. (see attachment) It looks somewhat normal to me. I looked over it again but I suppose I can replace it. I don't exactly know what component to use for it.

It doesn't seem to the correct voltage or even specs. I'm reading the following from mine.
VZH
25V

Seems pretty close. After viewing the hardware again all over the place I just don't see anything really that stands out as broken, popped or burned.

View attachment 40956View attachment 40959

Did you look at (1) the bottom of the cans and (2) look if swollen off the circuit board?

That picture makes it look normal.

Sometimes you can smell the burnt part.

Don't worry so much about the VZH. Look at temp range and how many hours (5000) it's rated for (hrs bigger is better).

Last edited:
At this point it may be best just to replace the router itself. I was hoping the damage would be immediately noticeable but I just can't seem to find anything anywhere wrong. I'll try sniffing it as well and see if I can smell the burned. I may try to still repair it and give it a go. Worth a shot, but it's seem pretty bleak to me. XD

So far the only major suggestions have been to go with the RT-AX86U or the GT-AX6000. Unless anyone has any other recommendations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!