What's new

[RT-AC86U] Lost connection to smart home devices, can't reconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gidkid

New Around Here
Hi! I recently hooked up a new RT-AC86U, and everything is great. I have Smart Connect enabled, and I've attached two smart bulbs and one smart plug to the network. They only work on the 2.4 GHz band, but they got set up and were functioning fine. I had to pair them to my phone through the Smart Life app, but that worked fine despite the fact that my phone was running on the 5GHz band at the time (at least I assume it was - it always has been when I've checked).

Last week, I went away for the weekend and returned to find all my smart devices not suddenly working (both bulbs and the plug). They are registering in Alexa and Smart Life apps as "offline," although they still show up as connected devices on the 2.4 GHz band in my Asus router settings. Based on the schedules I have set and the position the bulbs and plug were in when they went offline, it appears that they all lost their connection at the exact same moment. Ever since then, when I've tried to reconnect the devices to the network, the app can't find them (even once they've been put in pairing mode and everything).

I'm not sure what's going on, although I suspect that my phone being on a different band from the devices has something to do with it (they need to be on the same network to pair). Because the devices are all from different manufacturers, it appears the router is the common link, which is why I posted here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi! I recently hooked up a new RT-AC86U, and everything is great. I have Smart Connect enabled, and I've attached two smart bulbs and one smart plug to the network. They only work on the 2.4 GHz band, but they got set up and were functioning fine. I had to pair them to my phone through the Smart Life app, but that worked fine despite the fact that my phone was running on the 5GHz band at the time (at least I assume it was - it always has been when I've checked).

Last week, I went away for the weekend and returned to find all my smart devices not suddenly working (both bulbs and the plug). They are registering in Alexa and Smart Life apps as "offline," although they still show up as connected devices on the 2.4 GHz band in my Asus router settings. Based on the schedules I have set and the position the bulbs and plug were in when they went offline, it appears that they all lost their connection at the exact same moment. Ever since then, when I've tried to reconnect the devices to the network, the app can't find them (even once they've been put in pairing mode and everything).

I'm not sure what's going on, although I suspect that my phone being on a different band from the devices has something to do with it (they need to be on the same network to pair). Because the devices are all from different manufacturers, it appears the router is the common link, which is why I posted here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Some things to try, one at a time:

o If you did not reset to factory defaults before configuring the router from scratch, do that first.

o Disable Airtime Fairness per band.

o Disable Universal beamforming per band.

o If you are running the latest 86U firmware, consider my experience here. You could disable Smart Connect, fix the channel for each band (2.4 GHz ch 1,6, or 11; 5.0 GHz ch 157), and use separate SSIDs per band.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!