What's new

RT-AC86U Merlin Tx Power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HBZ

New Around Here
Morning all,

I used to use the TX Power slider on my AC68U to lower the output of the 2.4GHz channel which only powered my IoT gadgets. My 5GHz was full Power but scheduled in activation. It made a welcome and measurable reduction in signal strength. Despite the SNB FAQ saying this isn't possible.

With my new AC86U which is fab by the way, the slider is there but doesn't change the output level.

Before I spend the next six months investigating my options, could anyone 100% confirm whether or not the TX Power adjustment from Merlin has any function on the 86U?

If not, do I have any options at all, maybe via an addon to reduce the power on one of my radio channels?

Cheers!

Morning all,

I used to use the TX Power slider on my AC68U to lower the output of the 2.4GHz channel which only powered my IoT gadgets. My 5GHz was full Power but scheduled in activation. It made a welcome and measurable reduction in signal strength. Despite the SNB FAQ saying this isn't possible.

With my new AC86U which is fab by the way, the slider is there but doesn't change the output level.

Before I spend the next six months investigating my options, could anyone 100% confirm whether or not the TX Power adjustment from Merlin has any function on the 86U?

If not, do I have any options at all, maybe via an addon to reduce the power on one of my radio channels?

Cheers!

Wifi driver and all related components are closed source, merlin doesn't have any control over it. If merlin version is not working when you reduce power, stock version won't work either. Sadly there is not much once can do when it comes to wifi and its power control.

Wifi driver and all related components are closed source, merlin doesn't have any control over it. If merlin version is not working when you reduce power, stock version won't work either. Sadly there is not much once can do when it comes to wifi and its power control.

Hi Hawk

Thank you very much, I thought this might be the case. Was this a change by Asus made after the 68u?. I'd like to understand why it worked so well on that.

I might have to switch back to the 68u, sadly.

Many thanks for your expert help!

Hi Hawk

Thank you very much, I thought this might be the case. Was this a change by Asus made after the 68u?. I'd like to understand why it worked so well on that.

I might have to switch back to the 68u, sadly.

Many thanks for your expert help!

Asus and other vendor start locking down there Wi-Fi after folks abuse and increase power beyond allowed limit for their region. In response manufacturers had to take strict measures and come up with ways to lock wifi power level, Asus is one of the good guys while they found middle ground unlike some other companies which decided to complete lock out third party firmware on their devices. To answer your question yes it happened after 68u model.

Hi @RMerlin

Can we still adjust Tx Power via SSH using:

Code:
nvram set wl_txpower=1
nvram set wl0_txpower=1
nvram set wl1_txpower=1
nvram commit

Values on a scale of 1 to 100 ?

I want to reduce my Tx power because I sit 5 feet from it and only need WiFi in this room.

Thanks!

Or they can login to the GUI and play with the sliders at the bottom of the Advanced > Wireless > Professional page.
Terminal/Command Line is purposefully daunting

Or they can login to the GUI and play with the sliders at the bottom of the Advanced > Wireless > Professional page.
Terminal/Command Line is purposefully daunting

I've been using the slider for a decade already in stock Asus firmware

I want to try Merlin to reduce to lower than the minimum slider (see the code above which i found on this forum but it is from a long time ago)

But don't know if this method is supported anymore

Hence my query to @RMerlin

I want to reduce my Tx power because I sit 5 feet from it and only need WiFi in this room.

Wait for RMerlin's answer, but...

Move the slider in Wireless, Professional to Fair and remove the antennas. I'm serious. You'll get full 866Mbps link speed to 2-stream AC client 5-10 feet away, but not behind the wall in adjacent room. If you move the slider to Power Save the router will switch to 1-stream up to 433Mbps to AC client.

When I had like 30 routers collection and wanted to see something quickly I never bothered attaching antennas. I'm a hardware guy. The RF circuits are terminated on routers with detachable antennas. The power amps won't get damaged. There is one PCB antenna inside AC86U you can't detach.

Wait for RMerlin's answer, but...

Move the slider in Wireless, Professional to Fair and remove the antennas. I'm serious. You'll get full 866Mbps link speed to 2-stream AC client 5-10 feet away, but not behind the wall in adjacent room. If you move the slider to Power Save the router will switch to 1-stream up to 433Mbps to AC client.

When I had like 30 routers collection and wanted to see something quickly I never bothered attaching antennas. I'm a hardware guy. The RF circuits are terminated on routers with detachable antennas. The power amps won't get damaged. There is one PCB antenna inside AC86U you can't detach.

Thanks I had tried this before

I was able to get perfect with OpenWrt , setting 1mV output was great. Small range just for this small room. I don't need beyond this room

OpenWrt allows this via the web UI

Would be great if this level of Tx power adjustment could be added to Merlins GUI... not just ssh (if that still works today)

I believe what is allowed on your Asus router is defined by closed source Broadcom drivers. No much control there.

True, probably why Asus routers are not popular in OpenWRT

The Belkin RT3200 (same as LinkSys E8450) + MediaTek drivers, I have running is popular in OpenWRT and is more flexible

True, probably why Asus routers are not popular in OpenWRT

That's not quite true - it's not because Asus - it's the Broadcom WL closed source driver, along with other things that taint the kernel...

There are Asus devices supported in OpenWRT...

The Belkin RT3200 (same as LinkSys E8450) + MediaTek drivers, I have running is popular in OpenWRT and is more flexible

Yeah, and that particular device is a bit of a trainwreck - it looked open until it wasn't...

Yeah, and that particular device is a bit of a trainwreck - it looked open until it wasn't...

The Belkin / Linksys is the most recommended at the moment on OpenWRT

I have one. Works great with AC WiFi Only issue is AX WiFi

No other issues - what are you referring to?

That's not quite true - it's not because Asus - it's the Broadcom WL closed source driver, along with other things that taint the kernel...

There are Asus devices supported in OpenWRT...
When I replied "true" to @Tech9 I was specifically referring to his comment about Broadcom and obviously when I refer to Asus I refer to Broadcom models not being popular with OpenWRT

Because of closed driver as he wrote

I have one. Works great with AC WiFi Only issue is AX WiFi

I think that says a lot - the AX driver is still very much a work in progress.

Same with DVFS and TFO.

I'm an openwrt dev, and MT76 is on my watchlist.

I think that says a lot - the AX driver is still very much a work in progress.

Same with DVFS and TFO.

I'm an openwrt dev, and MT76 is on my watchlist.
Yes I never said the Belkin/Linksys is perfect.

I'm happy with AC speeds when I'm 3 feet away and in that regard, not seen many complaints about it.

Probably great for many people's home wifi.

Not great for anyone relying on AX WiFi.