RT-AC86U Merlin Tx Power

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

HBZ

New Around Here
Morning all,

I used to use the TX Power slider on my AC68U to lower the output of the 2.4GHz channel which only powered my IoT gadgets. My 5GHz was full Power but scheduled in activation. It made a welcome and measurable reduction in signal strength. Despite the SNB FAQ saying this isn't possible.

With my new AC86U which is fab by the way, the slider is there but doesn't change the output level.

Before I spend the next six months investigating my options, could anyone 100% confirm whether or not the TX Power adjustment from Merlin has any function on the 86U?

If not, do I have any options at all, maybe via an addon to reduce the power on one of my radio channels?

Cheers!

Hawk

Morning all,

I used to use the TX Power slider on my AC68U to lower the output of the 2.4GHz channel which only powered my IoT gadgets. My 5GHz was full Power but scheduled in activation. It made a welcome and measurable reduction in signal strength. Despite the SNB FAQ saying this isn't possible.

With my new AC86U which is fab by the way, the slider is there but doesn't change the output level.

Before I spend the next six months investigating my options, could anyone 100% confirm whether or not the TX Power adjustment from Merlin has any function on the 86U?

If not, do I have any options at all, maybe via an addon to reduce the power on one of my radio channels?

Cheers!

Wifi driver and all related components are closed source, merlin doesn't have any control over it. If merlin version is not working when you reduce power, stock version won't work either. Sadly there is not much once can do when it comes to wifi and its power control.

HBZ

New Around Here
Wifi driver and all related components are closed source, merlin doesn't have any control over it. If merlin version is not working when you reduce power, stock version won't work either. Sadly there is not much once can do when it comes to wifi and its power control.

Hi Hawk

Thank you very much, I thought this might be the case. Was this a change by Asus made after the 68u?. I'd like to understand why it worked so well on that.

I might have to switch back to the 68u, sadly.

Many thanks for your expert help!

Hawk

Hi Hawk

Thank you very much, I thought this might be the case. Was this a change by Asus made after the 68u?. I'd like to understand why it worked so well on that.

I might have to switch back to the 68u, sadly.

Many thanks for your expert help!

Asus and other vendor start locking down there Wi-Fi after folks abuse and increase power beyond allowed limit for their region. In response manufacturers had to take strict measures and come up with ways to lock wifi power level, Asus is one of the good guys while they found middle ground unlike some other companies which decided to complete lock out third party firmware on their devices. To answer your question yes it happened after 68u model.

HBZ

New Around Here
Thats really informative and helpful.
I must be the only one who would like to reduce its output:)
Cheers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!