What's new

RT-AC86U no WAN, maybe hit by lightning?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
A while ago I heard a pop during a thunderstorm, and no internet. The cable LED was out on my modem and my router, but I had LAN. I called the internet service provider, and he said I was on line. He reset the modem from the office. The cable is plugged into my PC now. I switched cables, no change. I rebooted the router. I turned it off for a while and then back on. Cable light still red. FWIW, the LED cable light was off after the pop.

Any ideas? If not, what should I replace it with? Another RT-AC86U or something bigger and badder?
TIA,
jts

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, 250/10 cable w/ Netgear CM-1000, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, DoT, Scribe, UiScribe, Connmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin

A while ago I heard a pop during a thunderstorm, and no internet. The cable LED was out on my modem and my router, but I had LAN. I called the internet service provider, and he said I was on line. He reset the modem from the office. The cable is plugged into my PC now. I switched cables, no change. I rebooted the router. I turned it off for a while and then back on. Cable light still red. FWIW, the LED cable light was off after the pop.

Any ideas? If not, what should I replace it with? Another RT-AC86U or something bigger and badder?
TIA,
jts

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, 250/10 cable w/ Netgear CM-1000, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, DoT, Scribe, UiScribe, Connmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin
Likely the WAN port is dead as happened to me with the old RT-AC87U I have. Enable dual WAN and select the primary WAN port to be a (free) LAN port and the secondary WAN remains at WAN.
Cross fingers.

TIA,
jts

I'm confused. The modem was offline but they reset it and it came back online? Did you get a light on the modem? If you plugged the modem directly to the PC (and took the router out of the loop), did you have WAN access? If not, you aren't online and either the service is out or the modem is dead. I've been told my service is fine and I'm online a ton of times by my ISP when I'm not.

Likely the WAN port is dead as happened to me with the old RT-AC87U I have. Enable dual WAN and select the primary WAN port to be a (free) LAN port and the secondary WAN remains at WAN.
Cross fingers.

I sure thought you are right according to what I read in the system log before I read your post, but I must have something wrong. I lost my led for the internet after selecting a dual wan and now I can't log into the GUI. By free LAN port, I assume you meant the first one, LAN1? That's what I chose. If my choice is OK, then I'm afraid it may be dead, although everything else seems to be working.

I'm confused. The modem was offline but they reset it and it came back online? Did you get a light on the modem? If you plugged the modem directly to the PC (and took the router out of the loop), did you have WAN access? If not, you aren't online and either the service is out or the modem is dead. I've been told my service is fine and I'm online a ton of times by my ISP when I'm not.

I thought the internet was offline, but they said it was online after contacting them. I assumed it was on their end, turns out it is on mine. I am plugged in direct to PC, only way I can communicate with the outside world that I know of.

Are you sure you're plugging into LAN 1? :)

See if picking another port works and make sure to reboot afterward to test it properly too.

I just went from a regular contributor to a senior member in this thread.
Heaven help us if I am a senior member.
I've just had 200 problems, not solutions.

No worries! We all start helping by showing others what 'not to do', first. :)

Are you sure you're plugging into LAN 1? :)

See if picking another port works and make sure to reboot afterward to test it properly too.

Why, heck no. No wonder it didn't work. Now that's what I call a senior moment.
If ya'll don't hear from me you'll know that it is something else stupid that I have done, but here goes.

YOU DA MAN! or YA'LL ARE DA MEN!
I'm back on line, and everything seems to be playing quietly.
I'm still not sure what happened, but it looks like lightning knocked out my WAN port?
Thanks a million, ya'll have saved me a lot of grief and headaches.
The internet is our TV, too, and when little mama don't got TV, mama ain't happy.
And when mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
thanks again,
jts

@JT Strickland, I was just coming back to search for you! Phew! Welcome back! :D

@JT Strickland, I was just coming back to search for you! Phew! Welcome back! :D
Thanks, fellers, I had already drug my old '68U out of the closet and was fixing to study up on how to factory reset it and my node and get all my bells and whistles off the fried one and onto it. It was giving me tunnel vision.
I would never have thought to do a dual wan. Heck, I didn't know where to plug it in even after thelonelycoder told me what to do!
I really appreciate you folks.

BTW, I gotta implement a switch. All my LAN ports were occupied.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!