1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U on TorGuard VPN for months and now issues

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Bill W, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Bill W

Bill W New Around Here

So this is going to probably sound crazy but here is how this unfolded. I have a dedicated IP address on TorGuard's VPN service and it's been working great for months. Suddenly yesterday morning my Honeywell thermostat said it could not connect to the internet. It was logged into the router it just couldn't see the internet. Today when I was trouble shooting it I power cycled the router and then my Samsung Smartthings could not log back in nor could my Logitech Harmony remote. Now if I turn off the VPN it works fine. If I change the VPN to one of their non-public connections it works fine. I had them assign me a different dedicated address and it still will not work. What in the world could I possibly be missing?

Running the latest firmware 384.13.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. fuzzynet

fuzzynet New Around Here

I haven't had any issues with TorGuard on my router, but I can't get any ips to connect via their Android App.

3. GSpock

GSpock Regular Contributor

Hi,
    did you have port forward defined at ToG for your dedicated VPN ip address ? if yes, you obviously need to re-create them as well as your iptables command on the router side.
    Finally, I think the problem is rather on the TOG side (BTW, have been using ToG for more than a year without any serious issues)

GS

N.B.: I have one of my NAS protected by (ToG) openvpn client 2 and sometimes the NAS looses its connection to internet, but then I simply stop & start the client in the GUI and it is back to business in no time ...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  4. GSpock

GSpock Regular Contributor

... strange. Here, absolutely no issue at all with their Android app ....

5. royarcher

royarcher Senior Member

I've been using torguard for ages since xentrk put me on to it.I have a dedicated US ip address and haven't had an issue. I am not that tech savy so I gave torguard remote access to my router and they set it all up for me.Super impressed

6. Bill W

Bill W New Around Here

Ya I have been too. This is just driving me nuts. I'm going to set it up from scratch on one of the other VPN selections on the router and configure it without looking at the current one. Maybe something got hosed that I'm just not seeing since the connection to the public one works.

royarcher likes this.
  7. Bill W

Bill W New Around Here

How does this compare to your dedicated address setup?

Attached Files:

8. Bill W

Bill W New Around Here

Might have fixed it. Changed the Accept DNS Configuration from Strict to Disabled and now everything seems to be happy. At least for the moment.

Update... ya it looks like that's fixed it. Not sure how it got changed but all better finally. Also not sure why that just impacted a few things. Oddly they were all 2.4Ghz devices.